Thread: pull a handdrawn map

Help pull a handdrawn map

Into CC3. I have a hand drawn map that I would like to upgrade into CC3. I was hoping to pull it into CC3 and some how re work it into the CC3 program so i would have a more impressive map. Is there a way to do this?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Pretty much the only way is to scan it, import it in as a bitmap, and trace it with cc3 tools.

Hi Gidde Thank you for your reply. I have it scanned, and saved as a bit map, but I'm unsure as to how to import it and trace it. I'm very new at CC3. It might be better to just redraw it maybe???? My map is very very large, and I'm not sure how to bring it into the program at it's current size.

It may be necessary to cut it into pieces, but basically you are redrawing it, using your original as a guide. I only have CC2, so these instructions may be a little bit off, but we should be able to get it done for you.

To import your bitmap:

1. Open CC and create an image that matches what you want to do. Switch to a specific layer - this layer is only going to hold your bitmap, so you don't mix your scan with your new drawing. I usually create a new layer and call it Scan.

2. From the Insert menu, choose Insert Picture and choose your scanned bitmap. It asks you for starting coordinates and ending coordinates: these are the top left corner (i usually use 0,0 for ease) and the bottom right corner (which depends on your scale. Use the actual drawing units. So if your picture represents 3000 miles but does it in 1500 pixels, use 3000. That helps later for zooming and doing detail).

3. Then switch to the Coastline layer (or whatever it is you're tracing) and use the CC tools to draw over your scan (like, for a continent you'd use the smooth polygon tool). Then once you have the basic shape you can delete the scan off of the CC drawing and you've got something to work with. I find that it's easier to do that than to try to redraw it without that base to trace over.

I know that's kind of an overview of the process but I'm (A) not really an expert at CC3 and (B) not sure where your knowledge level in CC is, so if you get stuck, feel free to post where you're stuck and we can work through it.

I think I'm understanding! Woo Hoo, thank you Gidde!!!

Glad to be of assistance