Thread: The continent of Ud

Wip The continent of Ud

Hello everyone,

this is my first serious attempt at map making, both counting hand-drawn and digital stuff. I'm currently mapping a world of my own called Erodar.

This continent is about half size our planet Earth, but it's still a smaller one on the planet. Today I have started with the coastal line. It's mostly solid, except on the south where the Shattered Islands are. On the west, there is a large bay called The Monster's Mouth, because of its shape. It gives place for several pirate hideouts.

The climate is temperate, much like of my homeland in central Europe. The inland is filled with grassy hills and loose forest.

In the middle, there is a huge lake called Mrudi, which is connected to the ocean by the river. I'm continuously working on this, and the other continents, but I will try to update regularly. Since, as I said, this is my first serious attempt at map making, I'm open for any critiques, comments or suggestions.

Latest WIP:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ud.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	32105

hm
    I think it needs a little more islands, considerind it's size
    and rivers, but of course you're workin on it =P

please, post more when possible ^^
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic34531_1.gif

Yes, it already has them... in my head Yesterday I only created the basic outline. Now I'm wondering how can I create more realistic rivers in Inkscape (I mean, rivers usually don't start AND end as half-mile wide, and it should be visible even on the map I think). Also, I'm planning to work on the islands along the coastline, and even the heightmap needs to be put on the map, so it's so long from done, but anyways, thank for the tips

Yep, as Phil said you've just got the base down, so keep it coming!
    My DA

Unless I state otherwise in a post, all of my work displayed on this forum is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

realistically speaking if the continent is half the size of earth, then rivers and pretty much any other distinct features arent going to be showing up, or at most would look like threads, probably a pixel wide at most. If youre working on a scale this large and you want to show something a half mile wide, you dont really need to worry about depicting it accurately.

Another thing to consider is randomizing the coastline more. continents typically have segmentation that forms from mountain ranges and tectonic plates shifting the coasts.