Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generic (Maybe) Tavern

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The problem with using pre-made elements is that the shadows always get messed up. I rarely do these types of maps because I know that I'd rely too heavily upon those pre-made things with set shadowing...can't rotate them so that makes them pretty useless. Why does everyone upload these images with shadows knowing that they can't be rotated? What about other lighting effects on an object? Pretty dumb, shrug. So you have 4 options: 1) make your own objects without shadows; 2) use the objects as is without rotating them; 3) go through and erase the shadows and put your own in; 4) find objects to use that don't have any shadows on them. All of them involve a lot of tedious work.

But, if you don't factor in the shadows it looks pretty nice. One suggestion...with such a modest inn/pub that master bedroom is kinda large what with having a sitting area. You want customers so you'd want more tables n chairs. So I'd scrap that family room area, move the bedroom in there. Scrap that small room for rent and the head (use an outhouse) and now you have a lot more floorspace. Last, push the stairs up against a wall, possibly outside. But I think too much, shrug. Your pub do what you like.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The problem with using pre-made elements is that the shadows always get messed up. I rarely do these types of maps because I know that I'd rely too heavily upon those pre-made things with set shadowing...can't rotate them so that makes them pretty useless. Why does everyone upload these images with shadows knowing that they can't be rotated? What about other lighting effects on an object? Pretty dumb, shrug. So you have 4 options: 1) make your own objects without shadows; 2) use the objects as is without rotating them; 3) go through and erase the shadows and put your own in; 4) find objects to use that don't have any shadows on them. All of them involve a lot of tedious work.
    But, if you don't factor in the shadows it looks pretty nice. One suggestion...with such a modest inn/pub that master bedroom is kinda large what with having a sitting area. You want customers so you'd want more tables n chairs. So I'd scrap that family room area, move the bedroom in there. Scrap that small room for rent and the head (use an outhouse) and now you have a lot more floorspace. Last, push the stairs up against a wall, possibly outside. But I think too much, shrug. Your pub do what you like.
    Everything you say is valid. The shadows on these things make me nuts too. I just realize that I cannot draw any of these things (and I've tried and tried..) as far as the layout goes. That was Rossik's idea (this is a commission for him)

So here is the Second Floor Layout of The Sea Troll.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea Troll Second Floor.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	32744
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Here is the beginning of the second floor object placement. I'm as sick as TWO dogs and my head feels like it weighs 12 pounds and ever time I cough I feel like my ribs are trying to poke out of my chest. BUT I might as well sit in front of the computer as sit bundled up on the couch.

Views:	103 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	32775
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Nyquil. Nyquil is the key! This still looks great, by the way. It looks like a very high-class establishment

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Nyquil. Nyquil is the key! This still looks great, by the way. It looks like a very high-class establishment
    Ahh Nyquil.. I wish I could take that (darn blood pressure..) Thanks

Finished Maps

Guild Journeyer

thats great!

could i ask for more tables?
    its not a poor tavern, but it doesnt have "fancy", so could you take out the chairs (the lone chairs, near the fireplace).

cant wait to see more, awesome work!

Guild Journeyer

about the second floor, how big are the rooms?

could you add more rooms?
    (its a great work, jtougas, but if you are feeling ill, please take your time! its not a pay work, so you dont have to worry about that in first place, ok?) best wishes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rossik View Post
    about the second floor, how big are the rooms?

could you add more rooms?
    (its a great work, jtougas, but if you are feeling ill, please take your time! its not a pay work, so you dont have to worry about that in first place, ok?) best wishes
    Thanks for the kind words The upstairs single rooms are about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide I can certainly add more tables and possibly another room upstairs I've been thinking that the bath area might just be too much. I can turn that into another room. Your patrons can go elsewhere for a bath..

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Well after a mostly sleepless night and a mostly sleepy day I finally felt good enough to put a few hours into this. I changed the second floor by getting rid of the bath area and turning it into 2 more small rooms. I also added another single room. The first floor got a few more tables. The entire thing got a much needed scaling as now I know how big things are supposed to be. (the poor serving girls were sleeping on cots only 3 feet long by 2 feet wide..)

First Floor

Name:	Sea Troll Tavern2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	32798

Second Floor

Views:	115 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	32799

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

BTW could I get a mod to change the title of this thread to The Sea Troll Tavern. Thanks

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast