Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sketchy Map Symbols and Magic Circles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Sketchy Map Symbols and Magic Circles

EDIT 4/8/2014: IMPORTANT!
    These brushes were initially released under a noncommercial license; they are now free for any use -- including commercial works -- with the sole condition that you give credit where credit is due when convenient. If you use these and post the art here or on a website like deviantART, just mention somewhere in your description where you got the brushes so that someone else can use them if they like them. That's all I ask! Thank you for all your support. <3

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
    -----------------------------------------------

So, I was unexpectedly busy, blah blah excuses, and I was going to wait until I had finished the circle things too and put them in the same set, but then I realized that was stupid so here they are:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchbrushespreview_s.jpg 
Views:	11376 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	33734
    Download Here
    I'll get to those creatures; I completely forgot them! Any suggestions for what kinds of creatures? The ones in the example are a hydra, a griffin, and alphyns. And I can't have a set of monsters without a sea dragon, of course.
    Also, sorry to link of deviantART instead of just uploading here, but that way I only have to upload to one place if I change the file....

Original Post:
    So, I'm working on a new map and a new set of brushes! So far, I'm working on basically the same elements that are in my previous set of brushes, but since I've got a tablet now, they're drawn by hand instead of by mouse! (I think they're a lot better, too.) Right now I'm making the terrain blocks based on Ramah's tutorial which have been really useful, and trying to think of some different building shapes for the little town icons. As soon as I'm done with that, I'll compile the brush set and upload it here.

Here's what I've got so far:
    (image removed to avoid redundancy)

Some other things I think I want to add to this set are some embellishments like the creatures on this traditional map:

Name:	keluniacloseups.jpg 
Views:	1227 
Size:	572.8 KB 
ID:	33736

I think I'd also like to do a set of the magic circle designs like the one in this map (in the ocean) -

Name:	keluniamapwip7.jpg 
Views:	2353 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	32583
    - and I'm curious to know if anyone would be interested in them or the wonky font I used to make them. (The font could use some changes - there are some ugly symbols in there that just didn't work out and I need to fix them up, and maybe add some more.) I'm also looking at making a more elegant set of symbols (since most of these are very thick and blocky and not all of them match well.)
    Last edited by StarRaven; 04-08-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Changed the CC license to one that allows commercial use!
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

StarRaven, these symbols look beautiful! Please, if you have a mind, post the brushes up in the mapping elements section - I'm sure the community would be very grateful!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome !! A great addition to anyone's brush collection
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice. Monsters and beasts and birds and such for decorating would be cool, too.

These are delicious.

I'm such a flake sometimes. Sorry about the wait. Here's the first bunch! (In the main post, so as not to lose track of everything.)

I wrote to deviant to, i didnt see city/tower/castle brushes. :/ Did you forget to add them or is it becouse of me?

Sifaus - I did! I had some problems at one point and Photoshop crashed, and I forgot to re-add those to the brush set.... I'll have it fixed in a jiffy! Sorry about that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast