Thread: Looking for a tut for a certain mountain style

Question Looking for a tut for a certain mountain style

I remember (I think) a tutorial for a hand drawn style where you make a jaggy ridgeline, then add slopes, then shading, link of like this (drawn with a trackpoint finger pointer, so no laughing):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	question.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	32587

Anyone remember?

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I thought Sapiento posted something like that, but I can't find it now.
    Edit: Now that I think about it, I think it was a one-sheet graphic how-to embedded into a WIP thread.
    Last edited by Gidde; 01-15-2011 at 10:20 PM.

blank here....might have been before I arrived, unless I plain missed it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know what it is that you saw for it is also in my mind...heh heh. I could have swore that it was in the tuts section but I didn't find it going back some 20 pages. I thought it was Ravs. It may be in the elements section but I didn't find it. I think it started in a wip map and folks asked for a tut on it so that's why I looked in tuts. If it never made it to a tut and stayed on the wip then it'll take some real digging.

Was it this?

In an old intro thread Ravs posted a link to a tut here. I found the link because I have the map in my inspiration folder so I searched here for the name Eltar.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-16-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't blame ya, man. Seems like every other day something new pops up in here and it's all nice n shiny n pretty and looks like a tasty worm.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I know you found the one you were looking for, Rob, but this kept bugging me until I found the one I was thinking of in response, and it's a slightly different way of doing the same general type of mountains. It may be useful. I couldn't find it before because it was Djekspek, not Sapiento. This is the tut: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...3D-ish-mapping