Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Map of Harmona WIP

Wip World Map of Harmona WIP

Interested in seeing where people think i should go with this one. I prefer a rather stylized overland map to a topographical; that way the symbols mesh better with the overall design.

At this point I think im pretty much finished laying the foundations, next step is to introduce geographical regions like forests and desert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Harmona1.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	32591  

Those mountains look rather interesting in a "how much work did it take do that" kind of way. In general, this is looking good, though I'm seeing stuff peeking in from the background raster layers (which seem to be really blurred at a bit resolution), is that on purpose to give this texture?

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Those mountains look rather interesting in a "how much work did it take do that" kind of way. In general, this is looking good, though I'm seeing stuff peeking in from the background raster layers (which seem to be really blurred at a bit resolution), is that on purpose to give this texture?
    The background has a parchment texture I appropriated (its actually two textures overlayed, ones a photoscan and the other is a digital texture i believe) When it comes time to apply texture to the whole map i'll probably bury the background a bit more.
    Last edited by vman3force; 01-18-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Put in some hours over the last two days: added in the forest regions and tributaries.

Name:	World Map Harmona2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	32681  

Ive been working on the farmlands. Im unsure whether or not I like the way that they look here. Critique? Also, i temporarily removed the aged parchment effect.

Name:	World Map Harmona3.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	32870  
    Who is John Galt?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

With everything else being so stylized I don't think that the fields fit...they look too "patterny". Just me, shrug. You like 'em, you keep 'em.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I tend to agree with Ascension.

I really like this map though; it's very different from other work I've seen here, especially the mountains; I love the look of 'em. One question: are those inverted crescents running in lines supposed to represent ridges or plateaus?

yeah, im not really digging the look either. i just havent really found the right effect yet - it has to be different enough from the "hill terrain" brown that it doesent read the same, and at the same time it needs to run stylistically with the rest of the map. tough one. the crescents show instances of steep elevation change, so i suppose they show plateau.
    Who is John Galt?

Been a while since i put in any work on this, but i decided to take a break from schoolwork and get some stuff done.

I put in a more subtle pattern for the farmland, it doesent really stand out but it makes a little bit of a textural difference. Added the desert region to the northeast quadrant. I put in some simple markers for settlements, undecided on them but i kind of like the look.

Name:	World Map Harmona4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	35601  
    Who is John Galt?

Today I added the road system. the dotted lines are railways - steam power is a relatively recent (and expensive) invention so trains are only used in the most settled areas.

Name:	World Map Harmona5.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	35638  
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast