Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riven - Jungle Island Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Map Riven - Jungle Island Map

So, this is my finished Jungle Island map. I just completed it and I will be including it into the book (see sig) soon enough. This is one of five islands in the game of Riven, the sequel to Myst. I am in the process of writing a journal about these games as if I was experiencing them first hand, in this note book I am drawing maps of the worlds you explore. This is one of them. I've posted my Riven - Temple Island map earlier.

This is the largest island of the game, and has the most to explore. If you've ever played the games, you know the vastness of the island. I am very pleased with the look of the forest and espcially the village which consists of small cirular huts on this intricate maze of wodden steps and stairs.

I've tried to use as much hand drawing as possible. There are some layer effects on some places, but not very much. I'd say some 95% of the entire map is drawn by hand (in Photoshop, using my Cintiq). The entire map took about two months to complete with actual work time of at least a couple of days. You can see the progress in my thread Riven - my work in progress, and the end result can be seen (when I add it) here

I hope you like it, and any comments are obviously much appreciated, as usual!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JungleMap_5.jpg 
Views:	1790 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	32593  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

I really like your style man
    Nice one

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That island was so hard, I kept getting lost in the village. The map looks fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    That island was so hard, I kept getting lost in the village. The map looks fantastic
    Yeah, it's the biggest island with the most information on it. But I loved it! Thanks!

Incredible job, this is one of my favorite maps that ive seen since I joined.

Quote Originally Posted by del337er View Post
    Incredible job, this is one of my favorite maps that ive seen since I joined.
    Wow, thanks! I've recently joined as well

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

wow. A+ man. Great details - us map makers know the insane amount of time it takes to make these things. The top-down perspective is awesome. And great work on those stone cliffs. Keep mapping and post them here!

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    wow. A+ man. Great details - us map makers know the insane amount of time it takes to make these things. The top-down perspective is awesome. And great work on those stone cliffs. Keep mapping and post them here!
    Thanks a lot!

Love it, especially diggin' that village.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yep.. beautiful stuff! My only complaint is that you need to make higher resolutions next time.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast