Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: January/February Lite Challenge Entry: The Caverns Of The Dragonqueen

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

The blood curdling scream that erupted from a few feet ahead of him froze Baril Gerean in his tracks. Obviously one of the arrogant band of humans had met, or was meeting a grizzly fate. Gerean knew he could do nothing for them but still trotted ahead against his better judgement. What he saw caused him to empty his stomach of their contents. A large plant of some sort was slowly eating the boastful human male. It was the color of blood and pulsed with each contraction of it's fanged mouth. Around it several other of its kind were also feeding on the other members of the human group. Gerean ran back to the tunnel entrance and composed himself. They had not made it more than a mile into these caverns and had already met their doom. It did not bode well for his personal survival....

Getting there now. The skeleton is a tracing of an object that I had (the original dragonqueen) The hoard is just a bunch of round brushes all stamped in a random pattern and then used as an overlay I hope the effect works.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January Febuary Challenge.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	32991
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

I think this is about done. Now I'm judging myself on a sliding scale here but I really like this. It was a frustrating journey to get here but once again worth the trip. I might fiddle with the parchment a bit more but I don't want to muddle it up so the text is hard to read. Thanks again everyone who helped me finish another one of these..

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	209 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	32993
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I love how this turned out, JT. And the "blobs" aren't cheating, they're "stylistic"

Dude, this looks really good. I think you might try some shading on the inside walls just to add some depth to the thing but see how it looks when you try it. Great job so far though, seriously.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Wip

The evil plants were just finishing their meal as Baril Gerean eased past. They were hardly moving now. Bloated and lazy from the feast. Gerean picked up a sword that lay in a pool of blood. Shuddering he gripped it tightly and moved deeper into the cavern. The people who had drawn the map he had found hadn't survived. The band of arrogant fools had hardly made it past the cavern entrance. And here he was Baril Gerean fisher from the port city of Stormhaven about to move deeper into the heart of evil...

Following Jaxs' advice I added some shading like mostly everything else on this map it's set to an overlay for a more subtle look. I like the results. Just enough depth without being too much. I also added a grid so that someone could actually play this if they wanted to. I also added a little "denizens of the abyss" blurb as if someone was noting down the creatures they encountered.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	118 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	32997

Finished Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well done on that shading, it does indeed look like just the right amount.

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Well done on that shading, it does indeed look like just the right amount.
    Thanks Gidde

Well I think this is officially done. A very minor update today I just changed the font on a couple of things. Once again thanks to everyone that helped this along.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	151 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	33010

Finished Maps

Awsome outcome -- and nice textures. Also I love the amount of information - If I tried that it would look like it was made by a scribe who accidentally drank too much ink.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lapada View Post
    Awsome outcome -- and nice textures. Also I love the amount of information - If I tried that it would look like it was made by a scribe who accidentally drank too much ink.
    Thank you This was the first time that I tried incorporating a story onto one of my maps (usually the story accompanies the WIP thread) I like the way it came out. And don't sell yourself short I didn't think I could do it either

Finished Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I really like how you made it look like the ink bled into the parchment! This one would get one of my votes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234