Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Mapping Attempt Outline

Map First Mapping Attempt Outline

I've done quick little map outlines from time to time, but this is really the first one I sat down and tried to make an effort to get the outline. I did post another world map outline awhile back, but have since abandoned it. I'd like to hear the opinions of those more experienced than I, before I continue by adding mountains/lakes/rivers, and so on. I figured it'd be good to make any fixes now before I had more things somewhat set in stone. I suppose my main question is, are there elements of this that need to be changed because they don't really make any sense...or is that actually even possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PartI.gif 
Views:	119 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	32599  

Wow, I really like this layout, seems there would be a lot of rivers since there is such a high water to land ratio. But looking great!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That's an awfully big lake you have in there, what sort of scale is this?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good to me. I'm guessing this is something on the order of continental scale ?
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I was trying to decide exactly what scale I was working with. My first inspiration was to go with an island, but then I started adding more water and roughing things up more and more, and I started picturing the Mediterranean sea, and I ended up with almost a small continent with an inland sea. I tend to like pretty rough looking terrain so I saw a lot of mountains, and rivers on the map. I live in Oregon so I suppose it's something near and dear to my heart.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Reminds me a bit of Adallia by Lonewanderer. I'll be interested to see how you progress.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really like the over-all shape. If it were me, I'd make the coastline less wavy and fractal, though; more straight lines, with smaller deviations though a few bigger ones now and then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	32612

Like this. Just zoom in, and trace the coastline by hand, if you have a tablet. Go straight (or rather: try to go straight, and your hand will wiggle anyhow, but that's ok for maps cuz it actually looks ok), and dip inland or towards the sea now and again. With the mouse it's a pain though, so if you don't have a tablet, just ignore what I said.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 01-17-2011 at 06:50 AM.

I unfortunately don't have a tablet as of yet, though it's something I've been wanting to get for awhile. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced, decent quality one?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I use a wacom bamboo pen & touch I bought for $99. I'm quite happy with the quality, and the price can't be beaten.

I use a cheapo brand Aiptek which I bought new at around a hundred euros a few years back. It's A3 sized. There are newer models out there, and they got all kinds of fancy stoff like 16:9 mode and buttonss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast