Thread: Capital City Map

Default Capital City Map

Well, after many attempts at creating city maps myself, I am greatly humbled and would appreciate the help of some of you fine folks in helping me create a major focal point of my campaign. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Time Constraints:
    None

I am looking for a city map that would represent the capital city of one of my kingdoms. I like the stylized look of many of the artist on this site, but have no preference on a particular style. I would prefer the map to be created in Photoshop.

Description of Map
    The capital city lies on a broken coast line, and would need to be a walled city, with 6 gates, and divided up into several wards. I have a list of some of the major buildings that would need to be labled. In addition, it is a militarized city, and would need to include fortifications (besides the walls),a garrison, as well as a port. There is also a small island just off the coast that would need to be included. This island will contain a large school for the arcane and a great library.

•The scale is not important, but a given scale would be greatly apprecaited, as long as the image appears functional.

Quality & Size

semi professional
    Required for print and web (but if provided in Photoshop, I can take of this)
    Dimensions of map: Needs to fit nicely on 8 1/2" x 11" paper
    Raster Image prefered

Copyright -
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Hi darkangelmarine - It looks like you have an intention to use the map for commercial purposes. If you haven't had any interest, the reason may be that you are asking a cartographer to do your map for free and give you copyright for you to use the map as part of a commercial venture.

Hi Darkangelmarine,

I'd be interested in helping you out, though if you're looking to use this map in a printed product I'd either desire some amount of payment or else be allowed to retain the copyright so I could re-use it commercially myself. If either of these are acceptable to you, please PM me.

Hello Darkanglmarine,

I would absolutely love to help you. But, if you do pick me bear with it that this would be my first commission.
    Check out my gallery to look at some of the city maps I have made.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...p?albumid=2971
    Ps: You might want to note what kind of style you want though. I also would prefer to be contacted via this forum but, if you must use my email address of eViLe_eAgLe@live.com
    Ps: Ps: About the copyright I would be fine with it as this is my first commission and would do it just for the experience.
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 05-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would recommend eViLe_eAgLe for this. His city maps are very distinctive.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    I would recommend eViLe_eAgLe for this. His city maps are very distinctive.
    Thanks Jtougas!