Thread: [WIP] - Delfinas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [WIP] - Delfinas

Working on a new world for a D&D game, this map's in the early stages of it's development. and I'm going to shoot for a Tolkeinesque feel to it, so I'm sketching the symbols out by hand with a dip-pen and converting them into a digital medium.

I've been digging the tutorials here as well, I'm definately going to be going through some of them for inspiration!

day1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	32641
    I've got the shape of the landmass picked out, and some rivers. I'm not sure how many I want in the end, but It probably won't be much more than that.

I used clouds in photoshop, duplicated the layer, set to hard mix. On the bottom cloud layer, I used the burn and dodge tool to 'raise' and 'lower' the land (in a sense). I dodged a ways around the outside of the center of the canvas to island it off. Merged the layers, copied, and gave the new layer an inside stroke of 2 pixels.
    Marginally Sane.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. You have some artifacts on your main landmass as well as along your coastlines. Looking forward to watching this progress
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

A lot of your rivers seem to be splitting instead of joining. I like the shape of your landmass. It looks very natural and interesting. keep it up!
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Couple things: your rivers appear to flow inland due to the way that they join the main rivers so flip some of those around - make the "arrowhead" where the 2 rivers meet point toward the sea and not inland...sure it's possible for them to look this way in a technical sense but it messes up the aesthetics; as to the river splits they only do that in deltas; as to the artifacts around the coasts, lots of tiny dots, try using the filter noise-median to smooth some of that out or select color range white and contract by 1 or 2 pixels to remove them. Otherwise the landmass looks nice n craggy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Bah, you're right about those rivers. I'll fix those in my next update. They look wrong now that you've mentioned that. Probably didn't help that I was eating dinner when doing the rivers!

Thanks so much for the critique, keep it coming!
    Marginally Sane.