Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January/February Entry: The Secret Lair of Dr. Otto Von Raithborne

Default January/February Entry: The Secret Lair of Dr. Otto Von Raithborne

Tucked away deep within the Tolkari Woods lies "The Secret Lair of Dr. Otto Von Raithborne". Given license and funding by the King Liam III , Dr. Raithborne explores the depths of the science of pain to unlock the secrets of the Golian prisoners of war. Recently the doctor has turned towards the demonic to aid in his studies to the omission of all his servants and his liege. Only his faithful lab assistant Mr. Boyle is aware of this infernal change in his master. Can you save the Golian soldiers and stop this monster from delving to far into dangerous secrets?

Basically I was not satisfied with my last months submission very poor work and time management and am starting this one early. I plan on making this a multi-page PDF as if I were presenting a product to a client including three floor plans and three isometric views of the floors. Hopefully this can be used to start a portfolio so I can take paid commissions in the future. Going for a simple look and am avoiding the use of textures aside from the parchment background. Now things are settling down hopefully I can complete this project in a timely fashion, if at all.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Secret Lair of Dr. Otto Von Raithborne.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	32661  
    Last edited by geamon; 01-18-2011 at 03:04 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Here's where I've finished off tonight. I will finish the first floor tomorrow. The portrait is not mine but is re-purposed and edited to fit in with the look. I'm being very cautious of the addition and placement of objects, seeing as it is still something I struggle with. Hope you enjoy where this is going. Please comment with any suggestion.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	55 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	32663  
    Last edited by geamon; 01-18-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

That looks really good! You might want to pay attention to the scale, though. Since you've got 1 square equal to 5 feet, those beds are 5x10 feet!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks good so far, I like the monochromatic style.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very cool. I love the story
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Added much more objects to the first level, worked a lot on contrasting color balance and also corrected some discrepancies. Unsure if I should be adding wall mounted torches or not, don't wanna over complicate the map. Let me know what you think.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	69 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	32680  
    Cheers, Julien

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That looks awesome. I wouldn't do the wall mounted torches might just make it "busy".
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

After a round of criticism from wifey, I'm going to create my own portraits and learn to use my new tablet in the process. Also going to add a portrait or graphic inset of both the Dr. and his assistant. Added general layout of next two levels with labeling. After looking at the furnishing, I'm still unsure if it's too busy or not. Again open to criticism.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	79 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	32691  
    Cheers, Julien

Cool, looking forward to your portraits.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

So ya I'm reneging on the portraits haha. After finding this set from Fable II I had to use it because it's precisely what I had in mind. Removed the furnishing on the first floor because it was bothering me and also edited some of the labeling for clarity. Gonna look at this objectively for a day and see what comes to mind. I like where this is going but wanna make sure it looks good enough to winning the lite challenge.

P.S. Starting to notice this is very much taken from the styling of Mechanol, very steampunkish.

### Latest WIP ###

Edit: Removed image due to potential copyright infringement.
    Last edited by geamon; 01-23-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast