Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3d Town Of Tartha

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Waterfall looks fine; keep it until some more of the map gets fleshed out and if the style doesn't match then scrap it. Personally, I like it, though. The grass could be that elephant grass which comes up to the shoulder of an elephant. Otherwise, yeah, it's too tall. For now, just go with some green color and some splotches of other colors like tan, light green, etc. I'd hate to suggest using a pattern, I think they mess things up when mixed with hand-drawn elements, but if you could find a good one then, by all means, use it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

added a bridge and a dock

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ya know what...I think that if you just added a couple of trees and some bushes you might not need all that much of a detailed grass. What you have so far looks pretty nice in terms of color.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

nearing the end, im not feeling the building just yet,

Guild Member

Looking great so far!

the only thing that makes this look less "together" is the contrast between the very percise style of the buildings, bridge and docks, with the more blurry/cartoony background.
    maybe more vegetation would smooth out the difference.

good luck & keep going! This thing'll look amazing when it's finished! :-]

im kinda stumped, not sure where to go from here.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Just my humble opinion, but I think the straight-edges of the buildings take away from the overall look. You have these beautiful hand-drawn cliffs and hand-colored water, and then the buildings kinda look pasted on with a computer. I think the scene would look even better than it already does if you went over the buildings' lines by hand and took out the razor-straight lines.

Other than that, you could also add farm fields, a couple trees here and there, etc.

PS -- just scrolled up and saw that Gluhoded had basically already mentioned that part about the buildings. So, I suppose I second his statement

Hard to explain, but the part where the bridge is needs line work. As it stands now, it has an optical illusion that it the bottom of a cliff instead of a cut our gorge.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Hard to explain, but the part where the bridge is needs line work. As it stands now, it has an optical illusion that it the bottom of a cliff instead of a cut our gorge.
    man i hate you. i didnt even see that until you mentioned it . lol. you mentioned "linework". what is that?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast