Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 3d Town Of Tartha

i decided that i hate this map and want nothing more to do with it. im deleting from my computer and though hypnosis erasing from my memory.

LOL. See, that just goes to show how much you learned on this. You know all the ways you would do it differently now and so you don't care for it as much. I know the feeling very well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Personally I am a fan of Eiji Yoshikawa's books Musashi and Taiko and I have always loved the lore of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I also very much like the artwork that occasionally accompanies these kinds of stories, and I think what you have here somewhat resembles that. If you take a look at the couple of drawings that I found on this website - http://history.cultural-china.com/en/34History5435.html - you may see what I mean. I don't think you need to be too disappointed with what you have created here.

I admit I probably think more like an artist and less like a cartographer. Anyway here are some more detailed suggestions I would have had even though you probably are completely done with this.

detailed roofs - just some lines for style really

sparsely scattered daily activity - (extremely optional) this could fill in some of the very blank areas. A lot of the ancient Asian art i mentioned had enormous amounts of blank space with just a few solitary gatherings of people or animals drawn in with a sharp color contrast to the ground. This made the paintings/drawings very simple, yet a not-boring. (Heinlein term )

walls and trees - for more interesting terrain. Though if you want to keep your blank space as an advantage of your map, these things should be cluttered together and smashed into your cliffs and walls.

----------------------------------

I did make a previous post to help explain what I am saying, but it is currently being held hostage since it was only my fourth post.
    Last edited by Sam Conifer; 02-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know the feeling of working on something for so long and so hard that after a while you just get sick of wrestling the bear as they say. All in all I think this is a very nice piece and if you learned anything from it then it can be termed a success.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good spiderfate, helped a lot that you widened the back river.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I had such hopes for this, wish you would finish it. But, as long as you learned somethings it was well worth it.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456