Thread: convert hand drawn

Question convert hand drawn

I have some hand drawn maps that I've scanned. I've tried creating a new layer in photoshop then with the pen tool outlining the terrain regions to color them different. So mountains might be grown and a forest next to it will be green. But how do I blend the edges so they don't look so harsh against each other? How can I make that brown area actually look like it's a mountain region? I'm perplexed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

First, try out the tutorials and you will learn much, young grasshopper. Second, put each different color on its own layer then use some blur (either the blur tool or the blur filter) or the smudge tool. You could put all of the colors on one layer then do these things but you have more control with each color on its own layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sounds like a candidate for jz's tutorial on masks if you ask me. I barely understand them myself though but what you are after is what they are able to do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Sounds like a candidate for jz's tutorial on masks if you ask me. I barely understand them myself though but what you are after is what they are able to do.
    Yes, layer masks are an incredibly powerful tool!!! They make things possible that not easily accomplished without using "destructive" techniques(ie, alter the image in ways that it is not easy to undo and redo after closing and re-opening a native image file(xcf, psd, etc depending on the software used). Of course, the best thing to do is to upload your map as is and explain what effect you are trying to get based upon the map itself and what software you are using.
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 02-08-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.