Thread: Linking to this site, and use of maps in games?

Professional Artist

Post Linking to this site, and use of maps in games?

My site, which freatures an online "Virtual Tabletop" for RPG games, has a link list of sites that we consider particularly useful to people playing RPGs online, including many that have free maps available for personal use. I would like to put a link up to Cartographer's Guild as a source of maps for people to use in their games, but I don't know if it is appropriate. There are a lot of excellent maps posted here by people to show off their work, but I don't know how people would feel about others coming in from all over the place to copy them, even if only for personal use. So far I have been unable to find any site policy in this regard. Opinions would be appreciated.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The sites art policy is at the very bottom of the page in the footer. However, that primarily applies to commercial endeavors. I'm quite certain no one here cares whether or not you use a map here for personal gaming. Its when you take someones map and try to claim it as your own or publish it or sell it that people start getting offended.

As for linking to the site...yes by all means link to us...I of course encourage it. But we're more a map discussion site than a map share site. Granted there's a lot of sharing going on here, but the primary focus is "how can I make my maps better" as opposed to "hey look at my map"
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

The Hound - what is url to your site? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is interested...

Professional Artist

Thanks. I've added the link and a short explanation about what Cartographer's Guild is all about.

The URL for our site is www.rpgtonight.com - feel free to try out the VT, its free.