Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the capital city of Naim

Wip the capital city of Naim

Hi, folks--

Newbie here. I've been doing a good bit of lurking lately and decided to post a city map I've drawn for a story I'm writing. Technically, it's a finished product (since I haven't worked on it in several months), but as there's always room for improvement, I thought I'd post it as a work-in-progress to get some feedback.

The city of Naim (pronounced NYE-im) is built on the limestone cliffs at the mouth of the fast-moving Great River. At several spots in the town the river falls through the limestone into the caves below (that's why the river disappears here and there).

The river was drawn in PS, the buildings in Sketchup.

Your comments are always welcome.

Thanks!

-Leonid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naim-01.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	529.7 KB 
ID:	1743  

Hey, Leonid, thanks for posting this! I really like the buildings--and I'd be interested to know how you achieved them in SketchUp (so I can copy you

I also like the compass rose's colors alternating with the river. Well done.

The overarching visual effect of the map does confuse me a tad: the parchment and ripped edges imply a photograph of an old, authentic map, while conversely the actual line art is so clean and perfect that they appear computer-generated. Neither style is wrong, of course, but together they appear to ride the fence. Did you have an intended objective for this map? Answering that may help in offering advice.

I'm glad you posted!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks, Don! You're absolutely right about the conflicting styles. That was something I completely overlooked. I can't believe I missed something so obvious. Yowtch!

The compass rose was just put on a separate layer whose blending mode was set to...well, something I can't remember. Maybe Overlay.

As to how I got the buildings, the answer is simple: a LOT of work. Hours turned into days turned into weeks. That said, I am a slow study, so it probably shouldn't have taken quite so long.

Basically, I drew a whole bunch of buildings that didn't touch each other the first time around. Then I went back in, drew a rectangle to scale (something like a mile long), determined where my roads would be and sketched them in with the Freehand tool. Finally, I used the Line tool to draw buildings abutting each other along the edges of the roads. And over and over and over. Simple as that.

I think I'm going to try putting all the map elements into one style as you suggested. That sounds like a great idea. And I'll be using your tutorial for some of that as well!

Thanks again!

-Leonid
    Last edited by leonid; 11-24-2007 at 05:39 PM.

By the way, I have a 7-meg video file with a 3D fly-through of the map but I don't think I can attach it here. Any thoughts on how I might be able to upload it?

Thanks!

-L

Very nice map. I've always liked that style for representing city buildings. Very old school Judges Guild.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Quote Originally Posted by leonid View Post
    By the way, I have a 7-meg video file with a 3D fly-through of the map but I don't think I can attach it here. Any thoughts on how I might be able to upload it?

Thanks!

-L
    You could upload it to YouTube and then post a link here. Also, if you zip it I believe it will be attachable.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks for the tip, Rob. Here's the link. This is a fly-through of the original design, before I re-drew it to connect the buildings (it just seemed disjointed otherwise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4JJy4dBw

-L

Quote Originally Posted by leonid View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Rob. Here's the link. This is a fly-through of the original design, before I re-drew it to connect the buildings (it just seemed disjointed otherwise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4JJy4dBw

-L

MY.....DEAR.....GOD.....

Should.....have.....sent.....a......poet!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Very cool. How long did it take you to do all that in sketchup?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks. It took "a while," that's for sure. Once I started using Ruby scripts, things went faster, but I still had to draw every single building and it was...umm...slow-going. I did it over the course of a few months, but part of the equation was the fact that I didn't know what I was doing and had to learn it all as I went along. I'm sure someone familiar with the software could probably get through it much faster than I did.

I'm still considering doing a new video render (I notice that it has some issues) of the updated map, but first I'd need to add heights and roofs to all the buildings and, frankly, that just scares me. Maybe I'll just make some popcorn instead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast