Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Village of Belirus WIP

Post Village of Belirus WIP

So, I decided to try my hand at a more "detailed" type of map, other then a general world map, so I read through pyrandon's Koppollex tutorial, gave me some great ideas. I've picked up a few textures which I believe I got from here, like the forest one, and the building one by AidyBaby, that one I can atleast remember =P

So ideas, opinions, anything would do, I wasn't sure how to fix the buildings, and the flat forests to make them just fit and flow better... I've still got plenty to do, I need to add in fields, and add in more buildings where they are vacant.

P.S. I used the City Generator that a few have linked to like pyrandon did in his Koppollex tutorial

Edit: sorry for all the side notes, but the actual full view is a pretty good shade darker then what I have, must of lost something while saving it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	890.2 KB 
ID:	2047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citydetail.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	410.2 KB 
ID:	2048  
    Last edited by Yandor; 12-25-2007 at 07:05 PM.

So... I tried messing with the forests to see if I could make them better... The texture that I had I wasn't really liking, so I started messing around with the 3d idea... only problem is if I do that then I'll have to mess with the buildings too, ugh I donno I'm willing to do the 3d, just need to find a way to do it, with out going nuts =P
    Anyways updated version first, the 3d idea are the 2 next ones

Name:	City2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	859.5 KB 
ID:	2049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest 2.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	2051  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is coming along nicely! If I could make a suggestion, it would be to decide what the "look" is you want... photorealistic, painterly, diagrammatic, etc. and stick with that for all elements. At the moment (to me at least), the forests look photorealistic with a lot of organic detail, the building look softer and more artistic, and the docks look very diagrammatic (sharp and detailed).

-Rob A>

haha yeah... welcome to my dilemma... I've been trying to accomplish this without following a tutorial haha and like you said I've gotten me a bunch of different styles, so now my question is then, how could one make the buildings more photorealistic, to match my forest (not to worried about the docks yet). Thanks Rob A

Post Use map objects of buildings

Go to Dundjinni forums and find 3D building map objects that are appropriate to what you're looking for and use them.

Or, if you use 3D software, just create some roof structures, maybe some with chimneys. Create the variety you need, use photos of roofing tiles for texture materials and generate your own 3D roofs. Its fairly easy to do.

Depending on the variety you'd need, there would be no more than 10 to 20 building styles, then just load copies, rescale, rotate and place to get your volume of buildings in seeming variety.

Once you create your building roofs, of course, you can use them again and again in all future maps, as your own map objects. (That's how I do it!)
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

hmm, so I think I'll try my hand at both, so heres my 3d ish artistic shot. the actual view, with my very similar buildings haha whatcha think?

Name:	Citydetail2.png 
Views:	473 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	2055  

Post I was thinking more like these...

I was thinking more like these type of 3D buildings...

Here's a couple of simple house transparent PNGs that I've created for use in some of my maps...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

ahh I see, I'll have to try my hand at that, thanks gamerprinter!

The thing about the ones you had was they showed the walls. A top down shot won't show walls. Though you also showed the tree trunks at the bottom of the forest......

Are you wanting to make an isometric map (like a view from a hill) or a aerial view map?

-Rob A>

haha well, at this point I'm trying both, I figure I have a map with components that are very similar, I've never made a map like this so I figure I got the time to try out both ways, an isometric style, and an areal view. The last little image was of an isometric style, still need to fix the boats and docks to make it similar to the forests and buildings, and I may try messing with the mountains.

Anyways how do the buildings and forest look? (besides being similar, I plan on coloring a few different etc.)

So yeah both Isometric(as I see it artistic) and areal, top down view are both great looking maps, and just trying to figure out what one I like doing more, and what seems to work with my kind of taste or style.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast