Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coastline Question

Oldguys tutorial (already mentioned by Gidde, but it works just as well in photoshop - in fact I think the tutorial is written for PS) is the quickest and most controllable method I've yet seen to fractalise a coastline.

If you want to use the posterise command, try this: Draw a blobby coastline, use a grunge brush (set to black) and grunge up the edges. Posterise and drag the slider all the way to the left to a value of 2 levels (black and white).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grunge.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	32945  

Ravells, That looks pretty darn simple and effective. Thanks!

Well Threshold can do the same thing really, if you are just doing black and white, and with threshold you can adjust how much you want to be white and black for the most part...
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Okay by total accident, while looking for ways to do it, I had a flash of memory.

With the Black and White on one layer (water black, land white) Filter -> Pixelate -> Crystalize

I can't remember the numbers but I think you do it three times, one at 10, one at 5 and one at 3... or one at 13, one at 6 and one at 4.

After that Posterize (4) I think.

Then delete the black, clean up your coasts for phantom inlets and such and Bob's Your Uncle!

Okay, thanks for putting up with that trip through my insanity

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The pixellate-crystallize thing can be done with any numbers you want as many times as you want. I just started doing it at 10, 5, and 3 as an example...sometimes I do it at 25, 12, 6, and 3 when I really want to break things up. I don't use the posterize afterward, though - I use noise-median to smooth some pointy bits down a little bit.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12