Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastline Question

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Default Coastline Question

There was a way in photoshop, using something to do with posterize to get those lovely jaggy coastlines... but I totally forget how to do it.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Cheers!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Not sure about a method using posterize, but Ascension has a quite workable method at the beginning of his Atlas-style tutorial. Basically it's a noise layer with a hard-mix layer on top that you paint onto with a soft low-opacity brush, if I remember correctly.

Yeah that technique doesn't work as well for what I am looking for... for the life of me I can't remember how to do the one. It might have been a trick that Coyotemax showed me... damn I miss him

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ahh ... well if you feel like slumming around in Gimp, OldGuy's coast method is fantastic for the really jaggy coastlines.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't recall the posterize filter in any of the tuts off the top of my head...not to say that it isn't there just that I don't recall. The only tut that I haven't done is the Jezelf tut so maybe it's there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well for example, your one of using the Colour Range, I must be doing something wrong, since I have white land, black sea, I tried it as seperate layers, nothing and then as a merged layer and again nothing.

I remember CM showing me a trick using Posterize, but like I say, can't remember it at all.

Try one of Jezelf's Tutorials, I believe I remember seeing him use his Alpha layer (with Rivers) and did a posterize to blur it way out and to get definition to the rivers...

Here

This might help out but I can't recall any other tutorials using the filter but Jezelf... "4 ways to give your map a relief using height maps - using Wilbur for one of them."

But that might be Poster Edges... eh I can't remember
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Alas that wasn't it either.

Le sigh... this is going to task me until I figure it out.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Eh.. I remember only vaguely. It was probably based on ths: http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tu...-in-photoshop/

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Nope that's not it either.

Grrr...

All I can remember was that it was the way to jaggy up the coasts real good! I mean small round islands would turn into jaggy pseudo rectangles with way more points, etc...

Nothing I try is working... the whole Color Select/Fuzziness thing doesn't do anything, so I must be doing that wrong.

You had shown me a way to use posterize to do it, but the above tutorial isn't helping either.

This is so bloody frustrating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast