Thread: Windows 7 Non-Latin Fonts and GIMP

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Windows 7 Non-Latin Fonts and GIMP

Not really a mapping question, but my google-fu is failing me and there are a lot of smart people around here.

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to load EVERYONE's computer with about 100 fonts (I'm really not joking here) of non-latin script. Around 45 of these will delete easily from the Fonts folder. The others are "system" fonts and won't go away.

A little google-fu and the solution was to delete them from the registry. Sure, this will make windows a little baffled if for some reason I decide to load a ton of Mandarin onto my screen, but as there is zero chance of me doing that, I'm not worried. They disappeared from the fonts folder after a reboot and I was happy.

Then I opened GIMP. They are STILL THERE!!!!! I am sick to *^&*( of having to look through dozens of fonts for languages I don't understand in order to find the ones I actually use. Does anyone know how to get rid of the darned things???

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dang, good question. My problem is that I usually delete system fonts that I actually need and can't get them back My first guess, well only guess, would be that you have to go through the registry under Gimp and delete from there as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, tried that -- at least, I think I did. I also looked and looked for a font cache, but the problem stays after a reboot so I don't think it's actually a cache issue. I'm so stumped and frustrated

Guild Journeyer

I am with you Gidde, after what you did the problem is clearly in GIMP somewhere, i will take a look after the hockey game..

YAY! I did it!!!! They're gone! And the problem wasn't in Gimp. Even after deleting from the registry, and deleting the physical files in C:\Windows\Fonts, the files are still there. Windows will refuse to show them to you evermore, but they are, in fact, still right there under your nose. So, this is the way to get rid of these fonts:

1. Write/type/print (but have a hard copy) a list of all of the fonts you want to get rid of.
    2. Go to the Fonts directory and try to delete them. You'll be able to simply uninstall about half of them.
    3. Run -> regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Fonts : Delete the keys for all of the fonts on your list.
    4. Download and burn to disc an image of the latest Ubuntu. Restart with the disc in the tray, and hit the TRY button (this will run Ubuntu without actually installing to your computer).
    5. In Ubuntu, go to Places, then Computer, then the drive with Filesystem on it. Go to Windows/Fonts and delete the files for the fonts on your list.

Now they're ACTUALLY gone. Gotta love linux. M$ knows better than you do, but linux lets you fix their crap.

Wow, brilliant! Well done...I've always wanted to take a look at Ubuntu, but I'm too frightened to install in on my puter as I have no real idea as to what I'm doing!

Well make a CD and try out the Live version to see what it's like. There are some things I love and miss about linux (I gave away my linux machine a few months ago) but it does take some getting used to!

Info

Hi Gidde, hi all,

I found a way to get rid of all those non-latin fonts by starting a single batch file. You don't need to hassle with Linux Live CDs. However I have done that in my first attempt to remove the fonts, too I wanted to spread the message how to do this, but I thought it was to complicated if you have never used Linux before. If you want to, you can also have a look at Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/), it's another Linux Live system.

If you just want to remove the fonts by means of Windows, you can take a look at a blog post I wrote a while ago. It's called "How to remove Windows 7 non-latin fonts". You just have to open a command-Windows and start a batch file, and it will move all non-latin fonts to a backup directory. That way, you can reinstall any font you might need later.

I know, it's not the usual habit to register for a forum and link to your own website in the first forum post, but I hope you'll regard my batch file so useful that you don't mind

Best regards,
    Martin

As far as I'm concerned it's on-topic and not spam Thanks for posting, take a look around while you're here!