Thread: Baziron's "Mapness"

Wip Baziron's "Mapness"

or: the d in Madness just went sick, turned, and fell over.

In my introduction I had said that I'm no good at drawing, more so at making stuff up for existing maps. I thought it'd be valid to actually show what I mean by that.

Attached is a file where I applied the D&D temperature bands to the map which will be used in the campaign I'm preparing. It's the GM's map... The arrow are to mark the currents, the colours are just to indicate cold/warm.

When I did this, I tried to also give oceanic currents, water temperature and stuff a thought, and then go by gut instinct. So many things probably won't be correct, but at least, they'll be sincere. :-)

I have an open ear for comments, advice, or similiar. The map used is actually found in WotC's Map a Week Archive (and I hope that I don't mess anything up by having used it), and I'll try to get the original link asap.

Here's the link to the temperatures map, it's too big for upload (being a psd and all): http://www.bms.eps-bonn.de/Gaddika%20Temperatures.psd

I attach the "annotated" map, too, where I put additional info into the original map.

(If this ended up in the wrong place, I agree on repositioning it...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GM's Gaddika.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	2034  
    Last edited by Baziron; 12-28-2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Pointing out what needs to be pointed out

I like the map Baz. It's got a good look to it.

Nice map; a bit like this one...
    So I guess you will be playing in Birthright setting (or an alternate version)?

6 Month ago I would have been of help to you cause I had done the whole Cerilia setting in cc2, but I lost it. The only thing left is the cc2 version of my world, that is base on the Anuire and the Rjurik landscape.

Anyway good luck for your project.

Name:	cerilia.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	2066  
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    Nice map; a bit like this one...
    So I guess you will be playing in Birthright setting (or an alternate version)?

Thanks... that map is from the birthright setting then? I would have never known (and my player's wouldn't, too). It is interesting to compare what I did to the map with what you present - there are definite similarities. Must be the map. ;-)

The project is getting on well, I'm currently not writing plot, however I work to assemble enough material to reach critical mass again - then it should carry on straight to the end.

I'll rework the temperature layer one soon, some spots were certainly out of place (I'm not really sure how to explain severe cold on one shore but not on the other, or a moderate spot on an Island which is warm), especially when I did that thinking of temperature @Ground Level.

Skadane being completely cold is already a stretch, but then I said its ground is also higher than the rest - but then I'd have to colourize every single mountain. *sigh*

You should really take a look at the birthright setting cause your climate is mostly following Cerilia's one. Just do a quick research on the net for birthright stuff

Rjurik: a north of Canada like setting with serve winter.

Brechtur: a temperate coastal country cause by the warm water, the mountains keeps the temperature in the country and the cold out.

Vosgaard: a Norse like ice setting

Khinasi : desert setting (mostly where Cerilia is written on the map) that goes up to moderate temperature in the north and the east.

Anuire: a temperate weather like in England

As for Aduria and Thaele, I’m not sure, but I would go with your temperature.

Quote:
    “(I'm not really sure how to explain severe cold on one shore but not on the other, or a moderate spot on an Island which is warm), especially when I did that thinking of temperature @Ground Level.”

For your frost problem, you could use one of the following reason: glacier in the north stream; an ice meteor that crash around there; or a magical explanation like the white witch that live in the Rjurik forest or another reason of your choosing.

For the southeast island just make all your water currents converge around that island.

Hope I help u a bit,
    Alu.

P.S.: how do I do a normal quote ?
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    how do I do a normal quote ?
    Alucard339 - see the little brown button to the bottom right, inside your post box, the button is labeled "quote". (its right next to button labeled "edit")

Click this on the post you wish to quote from - to create a response quote, like this one!

Yeah, I prefer Cerelian Elves and Dragons to normal elves and dragons and I've always liked the "Stone Crowns" name for a mountain range... I miss Cerelia too.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Yeah, I prefer Cerelian Elves and Dragons to normal elves and dragons and I've always liked the "Stone Crowns" name for a mountain range... I miss Cerelia too.
    Thanks GP,
    I new it was just oblivious, I thing the button was just to big for me to see...

One thing for sure, my players don't miss Cerelia Dragon. They fear them cause in El-Hazard their is only 8 dragons, one in each country. And they feast really well on players ...

Baziron: As one who really likes hand drawn maps, I want to thank you for posting that first one. You have some skills, my friend! I can really see a lot of potential especially if you were able to scan and tweak in Photoshop or GIMP, too.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hm... I'm worried that there might be a misunderstanding. The map itself I did not do, I got it from here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...wa/archive2003

Just go down to 02/06, it's labeled "World Overview".

I only put some serious thought into it; see also Alucard's postings. I'll attach something handdrawn tomorrow, to show you what I generally work with (though it's certainly WIP to others).

In the meantime, I guess I'll show you a true freehand, which came to be during a session, as a measure for my drawing capabilities. (I am aware that it possibly isn't really representative)

Edit: The maps will go to the Town/City mapping board, for that's where they belong.

Name:	skizze06.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	2084  
    Last edited by Baziron; 01-03-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Addendum