Thread: What? i haven't introduced myself yet?

Post What? i haven't introduced myself yet?

hey all

so i've been on this forum for the better part of a year and haven't really officially introduced myself. i live on the eastern shore of Virginia, in a small town with 18 houses and 22 churches. yes, that's a bit of sarcasm, but its mostly true.

I've been playing d&d since 1979, with the original boxed set with the three books, and chits instead of dice. yeah, i'm that old. after playing three games i decided i wanted to be the dungeon master and started drawing my own dungeon maps. i've never stopped. i wish i could find some of those older maps i did just to see how far i've come.

i'm a bartender in a local irish pub called "Kelly's Gingernut Pub" and i also do community theatre here on the shore. everyone says i'm a natural, and this year i plan on putting myself out there, getting an agent, possibly getting into some film work, and maybe a tv role here and there. i recently did a small part in a government film about hiring disable people and i'll post the link when that is up. not that it matters.

anyway, i've gotten a lot of great advice from the folks here, my mapping has come a long way from when i first joined and i look forward to more great maps and advice from all of you in the future. here's to another great year at Cartographer's Guild!

Jean-Paul Pare'
    Terrainmonkey Studios

one of these days, i'll tell you guys how i got the nickname terrainmonkey

Ahhhhhhh, CHITS, I remember those. Remember needing to go to my local hobby store and 'special order' dice to get them. Do remember the dice packs that came with the crayon to fill in the numbers?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Holy chit, TM! I think you're beyond introductions, my friend. Although I'm glad you did! Neat thing on the acting, too; I myself have always wanted to give that a go, but with my kids so small I'll wait awhile.

OK, so how DID you get terrainmonkey?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

ah yes, crayons for the dice.. ahhh.. fond memories. i was one of the only kids in my gaming group that had a full set of dice first. still ahve my red D20 with the chipped edges that rolled forever.

terrainmonkey.... so there's the Knights of the Dinner table. they call B.A. Screen monkey. at the time those comics came out i was running 4 games a week for 4 different groups at the local gaming store. everyone started calling me screenmonkey. then, the groups started getting into the Warhammer games from GW. i started making the scenery and maps for campaigns. at the store, everyone called it terrain, and since i was making everything from castles to ruins to forests, everyone started calling me terrainmonkey and the name sort of stuck. so, since then i've been called terrainmonkey, and there you go. i've been using that monicker for every forum i've joined, and for my MySpace page and so on...

anyway, there's your answer.

Seems a bit odd to say 'Welcome', but thanks for the intro, TM. I had completely fogotton about the crayons and dice until you mentioned them. I hadn't realised that before non standard dice chits were used (I had one of those fancy programmable calculators at school so generated random numbers from that). Good luck in your acting career! RPGs and acting must complement each other really well!

Looking forward to seeing you on the next episode of Xena the Warrior Princess!

Ravs

I still have my original red dice as well! Ah, those were the days...

As others mentioned, thanks for the peek under the hood. Always fun to learn more about where folks are from and what they are doing.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.