Thread: Esen Isle - First Map

Post Esen Isle - First Map

Hi, I just joined today and posted in the welcome area, and it was suggested that I post here too.

So, I'm working on my first fantasy novel, and instead of going mad trying to picture all the locations that I am writing about, I decided to make maps. A logical and useful process I decided... but also a slightly mad one as well.

This is my first map. The Isle of Esen. It has one smallish town and an old fortress.

Any comments etc are more than welcome as I am looking to improve on what ability I have already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Esen.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	32889  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Now that I'm on a real computer and can look at it, that looks pretty darn good! That's a very interesting texture you have going on there for the rocks leading up to the fortress. Have some rep for posting your first map!

Hey, welcome to the Guild ! Thanks for posting right away.

Comments - well, it's a nice island. Maybe too nice - all linear and square and clean. Though I guess it could've been just built :-). Maybe the shadows in the eastern water and east-side rocks could be longer, since the fortress is - I assume - taller than the town?

Guild Novice

I think this is very well done! The features are distinct and easy to read and I like the details in the roads and rocky cliff. I think that it might benefit by adding a few more layers of texture to the water to break it up a bit. The roads and cliff are well detailed but the water is fairly monotonous. Maybe add some waves or small rocks to give it some more interest. Thanks for sharing this Scandlan!

Nice!

What symbols are you using for the walls and the trees?

Guild Applicant

Nice! I like it
    Which software did you use?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice... a good start in mapping - as mentioned above the water could use a little texturing
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise