Thread: Greetings & Salutations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Greetings & Salutations

I saw a reference to the site over at ENworld, and thought I'd check it out.

I'm a sucker for a good world building resource, but so many of those I find online are little more than long forgotten directories of broken links to pages that no longer exist.

I've been designing worlds in my mind for about 15 years now, but have almost nothing 'on paper' to show for it. I'd like to change that (either through my own mapping efforts or through commisioned maps from someone who can better illuminate the worlds I envision) and start getting some of what I feel are my better ideas out of my head and into a more shareable form. Most of them are pet projects, but I have hopes that a couple might be worthy of a minor commercial venture.

I've got a ton of questions that I think a community like this can, and probably already has, answer. I look forward to browsing past discussions and participating in future ones. Thanks!

Welcome aboard.

By all means, view the past threads, look around, ask questions. We are all very friendly, and a few professionals grace our ranks so there is never of shortage of help!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Good to have you here!

We do have a bunch of worldbuilding discussions popping up again and again....especially when dealing with questions like "How realistic should a fantasy map be?" (just search for that thread

Hopefully you will be able to share those 15 years of worldbuilding and imagineering!

-Rob A>

Welcome, Aristotle! Don't be afraid to ask any question, no matter how simple or how many times it's been posted before. I think the Guild is one of the friendliest, most cohesive, and useful--not to mention talented--sites on the web today, so I'm sure someone here can help. (By the same token, you jump in and help all of us when you can, too, ok?)

Welcome once again!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome to the Guild, Aristotle! In addition to the worldbuilding discussions here, do take a look at our Fantaseum Alliance sister site, the Campaign Builders' Guild. You can find the link at the top of the screen under the Fantaseum Alliance drop down menu.

cheers

And yet another belated welcome from me... Welcome to the Guild Aristotle!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I've been away for a bit, with work, and mulling over a collection of campaign concepts trying to decide which one I want to actually start mapping.

I've always been a top down world builder, starting with a map of the world and a creation legend and then drilling down from there. With all of the hype around D&D 4E, and the whole "Points of Light" concept, I decided to try to do a bottom up project.

Of course as soon as I get an idea in my head about a large trade city in foreign lands left to fend for itself after the fall of the human empire (think Troy, but on the edge of a swamp/jungle continent with heavy asian and mesoamerican themed cultures... but with traditional western fantasy characters in the fore as pioneers/settlers similar to colonial america) Anyway. I get that and then I start thinking about doing a Midnight/Ravenloft clone with some dark lord in power and the masses afraid and defenseless... and I'm rambling.

Thanks again for the welcome. I'll post something meaningful in the correct forum soon.