Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dal Lands Mk ???

Okay, some changes. Different forests, different rivers, new colour on the mountains and now a marsh. Hopefully I got rid of the floating river effect, now I just need to apply this to the larger map. Will post some sections of the larger map to show progress as I go along.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dal Test map.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	33202  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Member

LonewandererD,

Your work is magnificent, but the rivers aren't working for me. Don't get me wrong, as I'm a new nobody here, but the non-forested rivers are very hard to see and the forested ones still seem to float above the trees like strings or aquaducts. I'm thinking there are two good solutions:

1. Represent them at their sources in the mountains and where they exit the forest, or
    2. Cut the tree line back around them in spots so you get the effect and course of the rivers through the forests.

Hope this helps.

Guild Member

Duplicate post

seems like there is a drop shadow on the rivers making them look like theyre hovering over the forest. I think the shadow goes on the inside of the river to give it that " cut in" effect, but i never do this style so im not sure. the marsh land looks pretty cool.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

*Bangs head on keyboard. The shadow is on the inside of the river!!!

Sorry, I just get too many people saying that.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think it's an optical illusion caused by the forest texture, LW. I just spent a while staring at it, and it really does kinda look like there's a drop shadow outside the rivers in places, but if you look a long time you can tell that there really isn't, it's just the forest texture. I agree with a poster above that the whole issue could be fixed by breaking the forest around the rivers in places (and breaking the river in the rest because it's under the trees). Your map though

Okay, one way or another I'm getting this map done and I'm getting it done right! Again as my map is too big I'm submitting snippets of my map, focusing on particular areas/features/problems I'm working on. I'm submitting the area and all layers that make up the thing I'm working just to give you some more insight in case you want to give some critique. With that being said, below are my land snippets

PIC1- The grey base land texture
    PIC2- The base land colour and more texture
    PIC3- First overlay to add variance to the greens
    PIC4- Second overlay to add more variance and mute the brightness of the green a bit, Make it more earthy

Any critiques would be welcomed.

-D-

Name:	Land1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	34986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	34987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land3.jpg 
Size:	509.6 KB 
ID:	34988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land4.jpg 
Size:	480.4 KB 
ID:	34989  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Small update, added the water and mountain textures. Now going through the huge map and adding in all rivers. May take some time.

-D-

Name:	All1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	697.7 KB 
ID:	35069  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12