Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dal Lands Mk ???

Default Dal Lands Mk ???

I don't remember how many times I've had to restart this map but I'll get it done even if it's the death of me. I'm going to try and complete my "Dal lands" map, I can't post the entire map becuase it's way too big and will take a while too complete. In the meantime here is a test piece of the map showing several of the various terrain types I'll be using, I'll post more as I go and as I refine the style, this pic will change as personally I'm not a big fan of the colours, I'm going for something a little softer, any suggestions?

More to hopefully come soon.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dal Test map.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	32944  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 01-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good. I like the colors personally. The only thing (and it might just be me) it looks like your rivers are floating above your landscape.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think the colors are good; the rivers may be a case of lower-right lighting messing with our minds

So just curious, but with the mountains to get the ravines did you use wilbur or geocontrol??? or was it some process?? Thanks!

Oh and its pretty good, I think the rivers need the most work over everything else if you ask me...
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

The mountains were made in wilbur, thnks go to Troedel for teaching how to do it. The rivers will be getting some work and yes Gidde was right, they are not floating it's just a different direction of light throwing of your perspective. I always use this perspective and they look fine to me, this is not the first time the floating river problem has come up. My main problem with this is that the forest don't seem to tie in with the land, too dark on top of brightly colour land; must relearn how i did the forests on my Adallis map, that map will forever haunt me I can't replicate what I did on it > .

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

It looks like the mountains are lit from one (upper left) direction and the rivers from the opposite direction (lower right), which could account for that "floating" effect some folks are having.

Yeah, that's a problem I had in wilbur, the lighting didn't come out the way I had hoped, will fiddle around with it and try and reach a compromise.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

In Wilbur, try Texture>>Shader Setup:Intensity page and set Azimuth to 135. It should have the same lighting as on your rivers. Human are preconditioned to see lights from above (that's where the sun is in most cases); putting the light from below will frequently result in the illusion of depth inversion. It's why the "traditional" lighting direction on maps is from the upper left (well, upper from lighting and shadows on the right because the right-handed scribe won't smudge the existing work by going from left to right).

I put the light in the bottom right as this area in the northern continent of my world and therefore that is where the sun would be, as I said I'll fiddle with it.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    that map will forever haunt me I can't replicate what I did on it > .
    I feel your pain. I don't think I'm ever going to make mountains again like the Belgariad map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast