Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

dem is up Robes...

In a spot here. The World Machine version I have is a no goer for what we want to do here. It crashes immediately upon me adding any Lines in Layout Mode. I've contacted Stephen about this (I did raise this in the WM board twice over the last couple of months but no answers) ...hopefully I can get hold of a stable release version. Preferably without forking out the 100 notes- having been an alpha-beta tester....

Not happy right now.

monks

yup,the web page app i use is MS Expression, free for students, no matter the age, so it is on the kids comp as well. And I have GM (for Google Map tiles) hidden in Carols laptop so it won't get deleted, so everything I need is available to make a gmap.....SeerBlue, off to download the dem
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monks View Post
    dem is up Robes...
    Thanks, I DL'ed it and its great but I have to find some way to convert the format. So I have decided to add BT format to GTS that way it will be simple. Coding that up now.

Shame about WM. I am not expert in these apps to advise. Hope Stephen can help soon tho. I'm guessing that your going there to get some erosion into the DEM before drawing a line underneath it. That would indeed be cool tho not abso necessary for getting to a render of it. Still, I reckon a fix for that should be found and I hope that bug has been discovered and fixed already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    so everything I need is available to make a gmap...
    Great - I am trying to get scripts and stuff up together to get a render out at 10K square. We could texture higher, which would be sensible, but the base DEM is set for 10K this time.

Blog Entries

Ok done the BT to HF2 converter now Monks, chopped, offset and rendered it, added a pinch of seasoning and here we are.

Will look at doing the veg for it next, add some rivers and lakes and see how it pans out. Does the image look alright so far. The mountains seem to be chopped off for most of them. I had expected that since your working on them tho. The lighting is out on my render too but will fix all that in due course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render1.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	9237  

Cool. Yep, looking good.

Ok, having to set the computer clock back in order to gain access to the World Machine betas here. Lucky I still have them. So we're good to go again now.
    I'm all excited...hehehe!!

Go with the mapping Seer. This will be a ma zing in Google maps, etc.

monks

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's pretty damn amazing at this point!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

RR, you must be a mind reader, I was just thinking that what we need is a handy app that will convert from one heightfield format to another without alot of intermediate steps, and keep the file as it was...especially for going from ter (terragen) to hfz for Global Mapper,,,, GM wont load ter files, but it will write them, but, of course, in GM one can make some really nice altitude controlled shaded maps, digitized shaded maps, and export at any size imaginable, tiled for Google Maps even.
    To get a ter into GM I run it through Leveller, set the export options, write down the altitude and lat long extents, and export it to dem,,,,then hopefully remember which way is north upon opening it in GM or I end up with Carn Dum being where Edoras should be and Saruman wonders who he got so far north.... TG can be used to add heightfield detail as well, controlled by altitude, slope or shader, and the new terrain exported, but then I have to go back through leveller to get it to dem format for GM,,,,a simple read write TER to HFZ would be great, less chance for caffeine induced teleportation.
    Why I like GM ,,, one can use the same heightfield to pop out a variety of maps, and if exported with hillshade lighting disabled the colored maps can be used as layers in Gimp or Photoshop to build up exactly the map one wants,,,i disable hillshading as it ends up getting too dark as multiple layers are added to blend in colors,,,, the only problem with altitude controlled shaders, is that they apply to the whole map giving the whole "world" the same color scheme, but run a few different shader setups and blend away in gimp or photoshop to get a more varied world.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Blog Entries

My GTS works in HF2 and image type formats (JPG,PNG etc). I have resisted putting in zillions of format conversions into that app as it could go on and on - a bit like GM's specs. So what I do is write these tiny command line apps to do the conversions - sorta everything to HF2 and HF2 to everything so as to keep HF2 as the main format that I use.

So I have a mini command line app called BTtoHF2.exe and it takes in the final size and offset as well as input and output. So we can take one of Monks 10004 sized height maps in .ter run through Wilbur to get a BT and then I can go from this to HF2 and offset it into a 10240 sized tile at the same time.

The version of Wilbur I have does not have hf2 in it. I think last time I used L3DT to go BT to HF2 but I have lost my L3DT now. A TER to HF2 would also be a useful little app but for now I dont need it. Can you get away with a BT to HF2 in the same way.

Ultimately it would be excellent for me to output a series of greyscale maps for all the processing from GTS and get that into a TG2 run. But I think this time around I am going to use my texture compositor to do that job and create a bitmap which will look a lot like my CWBP tiles since its using the same set of textures and graphs. It will do lighting, shadows and so on and all the types of vegetation, water, snow etc but not in the nice procedural way that TG2 can. At this scale it wouldnt matter but it would be good to be able to go down to person level and render views out with procedural rocks, trees and clouds etc.

I ran it through last night whilst I was out and it did the snow and water, plus it fixed up the lighting but it was a land sprayed with DDT. No veg. Only after did I notice that it was failing to load the Veg map in due to me putting the wrong name of file in. So ill do another run today too.

On a little test after that it looked like igneous rock areas was causing some problem with the temperature going off the scale for some bizarre reason. That looks like a bug which I need to fix before proceeding with it to the end. Its probably loosing float precision. Still, should have something a lot better by end of today.

Blog Entries

A bit better but that problem was obviously not to do with igneous rock and probably more to do with ice. I dont know why but its going off the -ve scale end. Will have to shove the debugger on it and see whats happening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render3.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	450.5 KB 
ID:	9288  

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast