Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Somewhat personalized fantasy maps for kids

Geamon - I love that link, I did not have it but I saw a program with this in it and it had something to do with kids learning to postpone the immediate gratification or something along those lines. I believe it was part of a study and the kids who could postpone eating the first marshmallow turned out to be more successful later on in life. That's how I remember it anyway. As a result of that I often say to people, "Oh you are a one marshmallow kid." and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Me, I'm a two marshmallow kid all the way. No way would I have eaten that thing. LOL, it's so funny to watch them stressing out though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

It 's also a test to demonstrate a certain aspect of children's cognitive development, the perception of the time. Children at a certain age can't conceive of the future the same way we do especially in stress based situations. I got wind of this off a recent 4th Panel on PATV (Penny Arcade TV), Mike was talking about his son Gabe having a loose baby tooth and he didn't want it pulled out because it hurt. The kid couldn't understand the immediate pain would result in relief once pulled out. I'm by means no expert on child development but I find it fascinating. I kind of railroaded the thread but again my suggestion is learn a kid thinks and you can definitely make children's maps.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My daughter (Ava for those who might not know) has a very good grasp of abstract consequences. I explained the idea behind the video to her and she said "I'd wait to take the marshmallow if it meant I could have two later" now of course she said that in 4 year old which meant "Well daddy would just give me two marshmallows anyway so why would I have to wait..." Thats my girl And as far as making her a map can any one draw several cartoony hippopottumus in various poses? (yep she has a thing for pottumi..)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

ROFL, I must be a kid at heart because I love Pottumi myself I think they make for hilarious cartoon characters.

There's a cartoon called "Zigby" that has a Hippo character in a bathing suit named Celeen. <--- How do I know this, well, sometimes I watch Cartoons in Spanish so I can learn a little more of the language.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12