Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt, underground com base

Wip First attempt, underground com base

First post here, just joined this excellent forum. First off, I wanted to thank this great tutorial for showing a total noob like me a good technique for creating simple tiles. As you can see from my work, I liked it so much that I almost felt it looked too damn similar But then, that's the point of tutorials, to learn, right?

Anyway, this is intended to be used in Maptool, hence the doors and some other objects (to be insterted inside a Maptool session) are missing. It's for a Dark Heresy (WH40k rpg) campaign, where the acolytes examine a eerily abandoned imperial com relay on an asteroid.

It's about 1/3 done, I should venture. All the objects (except the aquila, traced that one) are drawn by hand. Will hopefully post the whole thing when it's done, and maybe someone will find it useful/inspiring. I just want to pay back this forum for providing said inspiration!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_BaseAquila.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	33016  
    Last edited by Erenthal; 01-29-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great Job !! And welcome to the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great map! Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for posting a map in your very first post!

Ditto with first map and rep! I like the hand drawn fell to the elements. The next step is to tighten up the look and make it more photo realistic IMO. Unless a more cartoonish look is what you are aiming your style to become then all the power to you.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Nicely done! I've seen less sophisticated maps in publications. Repped!
    In space...no one can hear you whine...
    Help me make more maps!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice. Immediately reminded me of the Space Hulk maps, you know, the ones in segments you could connect to each other. I'll follow up with some rep too.

Guild Journeyer

Always nice to see more SF maps. Repped.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Ok, was out of town for a while. Thanks for all the kind replies! Posting latest version here. As you can see, the floorplan is basically done. Now I have to work on some more details

The only thing I'm not quite happy with are the carpets, the purple and the blue ones. I think I'll redo those.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AquilaBaseLarge.jpg 
Views:	1684 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	33323  

Very cool maps.

A personal musing, but its funny how almost every underground map will have a round room in it some where.
    Last edited by someguy; 02-15-2011 at 04:23 AM. Reason: grammar
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

It looks good.

It may be funny when you think about it but then honestly, most people who have lived underground didn't bother carving out square rooms (or did they?). Why would they, it's too much hassle for no real benefit? Kind of makes you start wondering why we build in squares at all. They stack nice I guess and are pretty structurally sound.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast