Thread: Can't Play D+D in Prison

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Can't Play D+D in Prison

D+D Gangs? I mean why not. The Seventh Circuit Court seems to think so... (apologizes if this is a repost)

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/01/seven...ison-security/
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hahahaha, I like the new sig, JT And wow. I mean, wow. What a great article. I can't believe they actually ruled that way, it's preposterous.

Yeah that was pretty humorous. I can see they being concerned that the DM might start getting favors from his players though. Who doesn't try to make friendly with the DM so as to spare their beloved character from some horrendous end?

All the joking aside though, these are prisoners being talked about. They committed terrible crimes and gave up most of their rights when they decided to ignore the laws of society. I'm not sure I want my tax dollars used so they can sit around all day and play games while I'm working my butt off to make ends meet. It does sound nutty but prison isn't supposed to be a happy place to be.

Fortunately there are a lot of other games besides D&D they can play. Maybe they should ask WOTC for help?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There's a saying that goes you draw what you know. Extending that - you map what you know. I'm sure the guards wouldn't want even the tamest prisoners mapping out how many paces it is to the stairwell and how high the wall is...they may get some ideas. The more heinous ones - I don't think anyone wants to see their maps except maybe us head-shrinkers.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All the joking aside though, these are prisoners being talked about. They committed terrible crimes and gave up most of their rights when they decided to ignore the laws of society. I'm not sure I want my tax dollars used so they can sit around all day and play games while I'm working my butt off to make ends meet. It does sound nutty but prison isn't supposed to be a happy place to be.
    I feel the same way. Sort of, I guess what caught my eye was the fact that the anti-gang unit in the prison related d+d with gangs. Now I can see how they'd come up with that in prison if three people are standing together talking it's a gang. You can't be too careful. What really makes me nervous is that it just might come true. Can you imagine? My generation survived the first wave of "D+D is Satan's handbook" and now you just might have the news media scaring the hell out of parents of this generation with the new D+D gangsters.... I would dearly love if either of my children got involved with any form of role playing game where you got to read, write and use your imagination. As far as the prisoners goes I agree with Jax you want to play d+d stay outta the joint...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

The article is skewed somewhat. Actually at issue is that a D&D group violates prison rules on congregation of inmates. Although this particular case calls out roleplaying in particular, the same rule applies to any organization with in a prison: book clubs are likewise forbidden, and no activity that would place one prisoner in a position of authority over others is permitted.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with a prison or any employee or inmate thereof, so I don't have any special insight. This is the information I gained the last time this issue was in the news, some seven or eight years ago, supplemented by a recent conversation about this same article on the Christian Gamers' Guild this past week.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer

Best quote:
    "Look, I know the title “dungeon master” sounds scary and important. But don’t let the words confuse you. We’re talking about a guy who sits around all day drawing maps and debating whether a cloak of anti-venom can protect you from a fictional rat bite."

Wait a minute, that is us!

I laughed me ass off at this article.

This reminds me of the South Park - Lord of the Rings episode for some reason. I guess there is a connection there someplace. Still funny though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hey, a good GM teaches his players that their actions have consequences -- the lesson these guys need to learn if they're going to stay out of prison once they've done their time. They should be providing GM coaches and making gaming part of rehabilitation.

Also, not allowing groups (because groups of humans are "gang-like", since gangs are groups of humans) among inmates. Good. Make sure whatever social skills they have deteriorate rather than improve. That'll make them more fit to rejoin society.