Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ships Compass

After some additional reading, it appears that the linux community started working and then stopped. From wikipedia and zaraxtrem.org site, there have been no updates in the past 2 years or so. Note that per wikipedia, Zara still has a nightly build for linux, but I could not find any info on it from the zara site. Also of note is that the rendering engine was NOT included in the Open Source code, so that part of the code was written by someone in the FOS community at some point. I expect that this means that the linux version is not as fast windows version.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well it is a Vector based program for one so the result will be different than what you would get in Gimp. I've never used Linux but have always wanted to try it out. Maybe one of these days I will. As I understand it there are lots of open source programs for Linux that you have to pay for in Windows and that does seem funny. I'm sure GP could verify the Linux version of Xara is the current version or not? Let us know how it goes jf.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Last I checked, the Xara X for Linux release consisted of a proprietary binary library with an open wrapper around it. That's why no one simply ported it back to Windows or abandoned the Inkscape project for it.

Looks like I may need to step outside Photoshop and into this program sometimes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123