Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commision - Snowy Field Ambush

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Commision - Snowy Field Ambush

I'm starting on a unpaid commission I decided to take in Dec and been having trouble getting round to it. Start working on general texture layout and testing new ides and concepts I'm at the stage displayed bellow and am trying to learn how to add snow to objects that may or may not have it already have any. Seeing as it's unpaid I won't invest too much time creating objects and am therefore using regenerated png's. So far I've tried using masking with a plasma cloud rendered in it on top of a texture painted on and it isn't working as effectively as I would like. Any hints on how to accomplish it would be welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow Field Ambush.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	33059  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Well... what part are you having trouble with? I can see that the road is way to "clean" and needs some snow intermixed. I would put the road texture on the bottom layer and then add the snow on top setting a layer mask and painting out bits an pieces where the road is using a grunge brush. I think you are good on the colors as snow should generally be displayed as more of a blueish white rather than pure white in most cases and it looks like you have that here. You could probably signify some field "rows" with a bit of alternate dodge/burn on an overlay layer, though the dodge won't show up that much due to the underlying white of the base texture for the snow.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So i decided to hurry and get all the elements on the map down first then work on tweaking also let's Aegeri the chance to see it. What I meant jfrazierjr was the trees and the scarecrow adding snow to them. The client requested a clean road except for ice pools where I put the difficult terrain symbols. Other thing I'm not sure of is how to create an effective looking large snow drift. Aside from that it's comming along nicely enough. Gonna come back to this one of the course of the next couple days to tighten it all together.

Name:	SnowyFieldAmbush.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	33067  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by geamon View Post
    So i decided to hurry and get all the elements on the map down first then work on tweaking also let's Aegeri the chance to see it. What I meant jfrazierjr was the trees and the scarecrow adding snow to them. The client requested a clean road except for ice pools where I put the difficult terrain symbols. Other thing I'm not sure of is how to create an effective looking large snow drift. Aside from that it's comming along nicely enough. Gonna come back to this one of the course of the next couple days to tighten it all together.
    Rather than using plasma or something, it is better to use a variant of the image. Here I just used a thresholded inverted copy of the tree itself as a mask, to which I applied a bit of spread and 1/2 pixel blur. (The mask is on a white layer). I also applied a small bumpmap to give it edge, then added an overlay layer to dodge and burn tree shadows and highlights to match your overall l->r lighting.

-Rob A>

Name:	tree.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	33068  

Ah... ok on the road. For the trees, I would still do what I suggest and put the trees on a layer beneath the "snow" and use a grunge brush on the mask layer to let a bit of the snow texture bleed through... The snow drift should still be achievable via the same technique I mentioned above using the dodge/burn technique.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks very much RobA, you're the man! That technique woks wonders as shown below.

Views:	153 
Size:	837.5 KB 
ID:	33069  
    Cheers, Julien

So this is where I'm going to stop. The snow cover texture is a lot better now that it's more grainy. Added a fence I found on Dundjinni forums and added a test on the fields. Gonna wait for Aegeri to respond with what he is looking for in the map as far as the snow drifts and the field are concerned.

Views:	511 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	33077  
    Last edited by geamon; 01-31-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks good. It still kind of erks me that the road texture has no snow on it, but hey it's still a nice looking work anyway.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast