Thread: Regional Map - Satellite View

Map Regional Map - Satellite View

Hi all,

I've been messing around with a few tutorials from the site. One by Flawedspirit and a few by Ascension and then adding my own experimentation. I've finalised the following satellite style, which I think is getting the look I want.

However I thought I'd get some feedback from the community. I'm not convinced at the moment about the tree style, is it too much? Not enough, not right? etc.

Also any other comments that might help me finesse this any further. I think I'm close to finishing this, I will probably add an annotation layer with roads, cities place names, however I kind of like the purity of just the terrain at the moment.

This started off as an experiment, however I may use this for something.

So lets here it, thoughts anyone?

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FIn_Map.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	739.8 KB 
ID:	33040

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good. The forests are spot on IMO. The only thing I can see right now is maybe the ocean color is bit vivid. Otherwise nice job
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I like the tree color and the spatter effect, but they're ... missing something. maybe try a really slight drop shadow to pop em up a tiny bit from the land below?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I popped this in GIMP so I could take a closer look at it and maybe you could give your coastline a stroke or some shading? It looks like the ocean is on top of the land at the moment
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks all. I'm tweaking the map and incorporating your comments. I'm also going to add a political version, and a version of the satellite view with some annotation on it. Then I think I'm going to do a slightly inaccurate more 'hand drawn' in world version so it can be used in a roleplaying game world. Accurate satellite and political map for the GM and the 'hand drawn' in game map for players.

I'll post some more iterations once I've taken them a further step.

Thanks for all your comments.

Jim