Thread: Desert Map/Landscape

Help Desert Map/Landscape

Hi all,

I am attempting to put together a regional map of a desert realm but I am having issues firstly with the main desert colour and texture and secondly with the mountains around the desert. Does anyone have any advice regarding appropriate colours/palettes for this kind of landscape?

I am using GIMP and techniques taken from various tutorials found on here (thanks all), I am also fairly new at this (and kicking my self for not doing a much easier green based map as my first big project)

Cheers

P

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Try using the desert colors and mountain coloring technique from Ascension's Atlas Tutorial, which I translated into Gimp .... the deserts come out really well from that, I think. The translation is kinda buried in that thread, I believe this link will take you right to it:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post111014

Oh thanks, ill go check that out.

P

hmm, not having much luck with that tutorial i am afraid, ill keep trying though, but it appears that the version of GIMP i have does not have Filmage? Was this taken out?

Felimage; it's a 3rd party plugin. But really I was just pointing you to the desert/mountain coloring, you don't have to do the whole thing

Edit: Here's a link to their page: http://fimg-gmplugins.sourceforge.net/

Well the colour is spot on for what i wanted, coincidentally i actually had already arrived at the lighter colour, but that dark colour/s are really good.

I just figured i would give the who thing ago, see what i can pick up from it. Im only having trouble because i am new at this and still finding out which bits do what etc. I am sure ill get there in the end, i am just having a play around with other mountain techniques at the moment with the suggested colours. Its blending them into the main desert colour that is the current challenge, but ill see how they are with these new colours.

Thanks again and thanks for the link

No problem, happy mapping