Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Branding your name and product

Default Branding your name and product

So recently I've been debating about ramping myself up for taking commissions, and I've been wondering about the branding aspect of the endeavor. I've seen posts stating that it's important to promote and advertise your name, having a webpage hosting a changing portfolio with contact information helps a lot too. But I've been wondering about naming my product and making a logo or a perceived look. Anyone wanna share their thoughts?

Recently I made a small symbol or emblem to imprint on the corner of my work. What do you think of the results to simple too complicated?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emblem.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	33093  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main thing that I think about is that it has to look good on any type of map. Will it look good on a black and white map as well as a color one? Will it fit on a realistic map and a stylized map? You may have to work up a few different versions of any sort of logo - one for color maps and one for B&W maps. But in an effort to be more concise - keep it simple and stay with basic shapes and lines. Yours looks good n all but you'll need a line drawing version for B&W maps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep. That's why I use my sketchy pyramid and wings - simple black lines.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yep. That's why I use my sketchy pyramid and wings - simple black lines.
    Plus the stylized A in your logo (if the forum avatar is what you're referring too) makes for great branding given your user name.

So I've been fooling around with a screen name I use often "Wyrd". Was thinking doing something like "Wyrd Digital Cartography", "WDC"...... Unsure but I fooled around and came up with this logo much simpler but again like I said unsure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emblem2.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	415.0 KB 
ID:	33132  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

It's cool but looks a lot like a Celtic knot which might be hard to create recognition with seeing as there are so many of them out there. I'm no expert and have been fiddling around with my own and have yet to determine what I want exactly. Since we are posting these up maybe I'll scan some of mine in to share.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Heh well as far as websites go I guess its just how serious you wanna get. Having a blog is good enough for most people and let me tell you a HELL of a lot easier to up date XD

Symbols are also pretty cool, not required for a freelance illustrator but would ad a cool personal touch to your maps. Just as long as they distract from the image of course -- like your first idea could be mistaken for a compass.

@geamon That looks very much like our logo (which is a triquetra, or celtic cross).
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

Quote Originally Posted by krasimir View Post
    @geamon That looks very much like our logo (which is a triquetra, or celtic cross).
    This one is called the Web of Wyrd supposedly haven't researched it too vividly to be honest. This is more of a brainstorming thread haven't fully decided what am I going to do.
    Cheers, Julien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast