Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh good, I'm not the only one with this obsession...

Default Oh good, I'm not the only one with this obsession...

I got into mapmaking through another website that hosts a certain game that's very similar to a strategic war game. If you know the site, you probably know what I'm talking about. If not, well you might not be missing out on much...

Basically I was trying to make maps that they could integrate into their site. Unfortunately, the process was VERY slow (i.e. a year for full production), and relied on trying to make a map that pleased everybody. I'm all for a criticism and guidance, but if it's my map, well, you get the idea. Anyways, I was looking for another creative cartography outlet and found this site, and it's blown me away by the quality of work and support. So, I think I'll stick around, work on some maps, try and help out where I can, and have a good time.

I'm afraid I have a different focus than most of the rest of the board. I'm more into historical/non-fiction maps with a creative take, rather than complete fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy works (mostly video games and books), but that's just not what I'm good at making. I have enjoyed browsing the different maps (of all scales) others have been coming up with. Although what I'll be working on is a little different, I hope there's a place for it Anyways, looking forward to sharing and posting.

Welcome to the Guild. You should be fine as we always love seeing a new direction. Also, you might not be that far off from a few of our other members. I know Sapiento does quite a few alternate history maps or I guess you could say future....anyway, welcome aboard
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

WestWind -- welcome! Your focus is fine! I likes me a good historical or near-historical or based-on-historical or downright hysterical map. Your work will be appreciated, and your input is hereby sought.

THere - that settle any budding qualms? Looking forward to seeing what you draw up, have drawn up, will draw up, and talk about drawing up.

Oh - and wouldn't an alternate history Spanish population map be along the lines of your interest?

lol, no you're not the only one with the obsession - I'm glad you found us and have joined the merry throng! Although most of the members choose to make fantasy maps the guild is for maps on any genre: factual or fictional. What we are not terribly strong on (although there are a few members here who are) is the use of DEM and GIS type applications to make highly accurate real world maps. We're much more into looking at maps as an art form.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Sounds like you came from conquerclub. There's some of us here from that scene as well. (raises hand). Check out my maps in my "map gallery" link in my sig - if you're from cc, you'll probably recognize some. But regardless, welcome to the guild. You are one of us now!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild! I won't repeat what others have said wonderfully, but as you can see, there are a fair few of us that share that map obsession Looking forward to seeing your work!

Awesome, sounds like I'll fit right in. Also, I'll be checking out that alternate history of Spain map- looks very interesting

RjBeals- Yep that's what I'm talking about. I've played all of your maps actually, and I think they're all works of art. I'm glad you have the patience for that process and can contribute to the site like that. Some of us don't have the patience for that whole process...

Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powell Expedition 11 copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	823.6 KB 
ID:	33186

Here's a map I was working on for Conquer Club. It's nowhere near done, but you can kind of see the style/direction I was taking it. This one is on the shelf for now, though I may get it out later, remove the tactical stuff, and see if I can't just turn it into a nice informational map.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Yes I remember seeing that map in development - a long long time ago. I haven't made a map for CC in a few years. Just burned out on the cycle. MajorCommand is a splinter group of cc'ers who broke off and started a competition site. If you know Widowmakers, he's over there with me making maps. Mibi is running the show, and oaktown and yeti and a few others are there as well. Not open to public yet, only beta. But map making is not open to the public.

You'll find that once you break away from cc map, you'll find an even greater love of making maps. So much more creative freedom to explore. The tutorials here are excellent, and you'll the community is good at providing feedback also.

I would recommend trying one of the lite challenges. A good way to meet some folks and improve your skills.

Good Luck

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast