Thread: Illustration of my Yojimbo class for Kaidan

Default Illustration of my Yojimbo class for Kaidan

So I've been working on a Yojimbo (alternate ranger samurai) for my Kaidan setting, and I decided I needed an illustration to finish the design. I didn't want the typical samurai in haramaki-do armor, so I created me an unarmored yojimbo practicing yabusame archery.

Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yojimbo.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	33174
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Good job with the horse! It's very lifelike. However, I'm puzzled by the reins, as there appears to be neither a bit nor a noseband present for them to be attached to.

The man's face looks pretty odd. Are the dark patches supposed to be shading? Can't discern much detail at this resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Good job with the horse! It's very lifelike. However, I'm puzzled by the reins, as there appears to be neither a bit nor a noseband present for them to be attached to.

The man's face looks pretty odd. Are the dark patches supposed to be shading? Can't discern much detail at this resolution.
    Ah, I get what you're thinking. No, those aren't shadows. I used a photo to reference in drawing this. The black things on his face are the end straps to the harness holding his hat to his head. Since the horse is in the apex of its gallop, the end straps are thrown upwards instead of dangling off his chin. Those are the black things you see.

I was wondering what you meant by shadowing on his face. No problem.

And the issue with the reins, this isn't the tack of a western rider, the reins on a horse are different and there is no 'bit' used in Japanese horse tack. You're comparing apples with oranges - different equipment for a different culture.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-04-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Now, that makes sense with the straps. Though I'd imagine that I'm not alone in wondering what they were, upon seeing the picture for the first time.

As for the horse, if you're going to make that argument then the comparison should be termed continental and not 'western', as one can see in these paintings the use of such horse gear by Chinese and Korean riders. If the Japanese made use of neither bit nor noseband, then how did they manage to attach the reins to the tack? Of what what aid would reins be for the rider if left unattached?

EDIT: I just dug up my copy of the Warriors of Medieval Japan book. Skimming through it, I see many historic Japanese pictures (mind you that that may be from late periods!) showing horses with the reins attached in very similar manner to the Chinese & Korean examples. In case you're interested, I could take some scans and PM them to you.
    Last edited by Ghostman; 02-05-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Please do, I can always use more reference material. Again the tack shown was how a photo showing a yabusame festival with a rider and bow in use, so I added nothing, nor removed anything from the reference photo. No bit appeared in the photo so I added none.
    DrivethruRPG store