Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Urcys

Guild Member

Wip [WIP] Urcys

Hi there,

Sorry for not giving news sooner, I was doing another map; this time for another story that revolves around elves, dwarves, Faglelth (planar beings) and halfelings... the stone rings are teleporters that can be used solely by them.

Hope you can give me your advices on this one so the next one will be way better !

Mika.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canstockphoto0395440.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	33757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urcys2.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	478.3 KB 
ID:	33755  
    Last edited by Ukyuu; 02-21-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Hi Ukyu, I assume you are using the manage attachments uploader? (click 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachments').

If your file is not uploading then it is either an unsupported file type or the dimensions are too large (I don't know the limit but it should take anything up to 3,000 by 3,000 px) or the file size is too large (again I don't know the precise number but anything up to 3 mb should be pretty safe). If you're using a supported file type and are within the required dimensions it may be a problem with the uploader and you may have to wait a little while and try again.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Yeah, finally managed. I learned that this forum is not compliant with IE9 which I use. Went to Firefox and it went well.

I'm having some difficulties to put a context to this map... what to put it on. It seems dull and not so lovely just like this.

Mika.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Bah. Don't think of it in terms of "it's not as good as this or that" but instead think of it as "does it look like fun or not". The only thing that I see, that I didn't think of before, is the scale. Pretty huge. I'd shrink it down to something like 100 or 200 instead of 1000.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

If I put this map as it is on my book, my reader will give me a bad ranking in illustration and I'm going to get less reader next month. Through I put maps for fun in my books, my editors and readers aren't so lovely about it either You thinks the scale is too much ? Well, I'll see if I can shink down the whole by 1 zero. It might not be a bad idea !

How about the town does it seems wierd how I put them on ?

Mika.

Guild Member

Well, I've found the background, but once again, I don't know how to melt the two so it's good looking. It's annoying. I've got tons of ideas but zero skills to back them up. T-T.

What software are you using, Ukyuu? If you go to your profile settings you can list it there and it will appear under your name when you post (very helpful if you don't want to be asked obvious questions). If it's photoshop or similar, resize your frame, put in a layer on top of your map, set the layer blend mode to 'multiply' (actually play with them all and see which looks best), and play with the opacity settings. I don't think that the grungy frame you've chosen will work very well with the clean cartoony type of map style you have, though.

Guild Member

Sorry I hadn't filled my profile (didn't really understand how, sometimes this forum is a bit hard to understand for me ^^'). For this one I went with Mapgen and Fractal Terrain. But others sofware are fine if there's any way to do it.

Ah well you have PSP, which is great. Use that to texture your map further, but this style of map usually suffers from textures rather than benefits from them (unless they're really subtle). What sort of look are you trying to achieve? is there a map here that you want to replicate the look of?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast