Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2011 Challenge - Caging the Bird

Default February 2011 Challenge - Caging the Bird

Okay, so back in the comp run again with a new idea

After playing a lot of Prof. Layton, and influence by Orson and Oliva and Sherlock Holmes, I'm in an "Ye Oldie Victorian English" kind of mood. So how's this for an idea, word as gotten to the police that the notorious cat burglar the "Blue Bird" is going to steal the rare "Emerald of Eve" and the police want to catch him/her in the act. The map will be of the museum floor with notes and markings scribbled all over it to show the police's plan to catch the crook. Also around the pic will be small notes and newspaper clippings, just to add some depth and back story to the map.

Here's the rough sketch I did at work, will be working on the linework later tonight, it will all be done by an angled cut-away view not top down like the sketch.

-D-

###LATEST WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	33213  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 02-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Okay, two updates, heres the linework and the linework with most of the conflicting walls and floors removed. I also drew in roughly where the doors will be, now it's on to detailing. Time to crack out the tablet again, it's getting a real workout with these last two comps.

I'm going to try and move rather fast with this entry as I'm also starting my third year of university this week.

-D-

###LATEST WIP###

Name:	Caging the Bird.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	33222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caging the Bird copy.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	33223  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 02-09-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't neglect that schoolwork for mapping, bro. Had I been more diligent and less gigolo I'd have been accepted to a Ph.D program instead of settling for my M.A. and I'd have people sitting on a couch telling me their problems for big money instead of being a starving social-worker turned glass artist. But anyway, you've at least put some thought into your trap and I don't have the foggiest idea of what I want to do yet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, it wasn't so much effort as it was a way to pass the time during a rather dull day at work. Ironic that you should mention social work because according to my grades it seems I would be more suited to sociology or anthropology/ethnography as opposed to psychology, still fascinating stuff though. A small update on the map, added the staircase and railings, there is a mistake at the top of railings on the staircase that I can't seem to get right, perspective is not my strong point. I also added a carpet and extra doorway for the hall and I added a papery effect to the background, it's subtle but better than plain white. More to come soon. Also I can't seem to fix my typo in the thread heading, could one of the Admin possibly please add the other r to February?

-D-

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	67 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	33232  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, completed the lineart, the little rectangles on the floors and walls are placeholders for pictures and display cases that are going to be added in later. I'm now moving on to colouring the place, already did the carpets. I am going to change the "weave" effect I tried to get on the carpet later.

More to come soon.

-D-

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	77 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	33257  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, did the basic colouring and added curtains for the windows. I know I went a bit heavy on the red but I wanted something radically different than what I normally do. Now moving onto shading and effects and then adding in the display cases. On a side note, I was thinking of shrinking down and altering one of my previous maps to serve as one of the wall portraits, would that violate any comp rules?

-D-

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	84 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	33262  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

That's excatly what I was going for, thanks ravells. I got inspiration from the kind of artwork below, which is a screenshot of a game.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, shaded the area and added the items for the portraits and display cases. As I'm going along I'm adding in small references/easter eggs that pay homage to others members of the guild. For convenience most of them are going to be community leaders, there are currently two in the pic, can you spot them?

Will have more done soon.

-D-

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	53 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	33289  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 02-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

This map is flying along. I added in the few final few details like the target object, the rare Emerald of Eve, one more portrait, some boxes in the backrooms and along the walls, the text, an enchanted statue, the police men and the inspector. Now I'm moving onto the next items to accompany the map, a telegram for the inspector, a note from a jewellry shop, a piece of a newspaper and a note from the inspector to the rest of the involved people detailing the plan. I'm going to arrange them on a woodboard background to make it look like it's been strewn out across a desk, still deliberating whether to add a cup of coffee to the items.

More to come soon.

-D-

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	74 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	33292  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 02-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast