Thread: How to export parts of a map

Default How to export parts of a map

Hi,

I have been away from CC3 for almost 2 years now, and I want to revamp a map i was working on. The problem is that I was chewing over too much. I started drawing the entire campaign, but should really just have concentrated about the area I am actually playing. The map has been a bit too big so i was wondering if there is an easy way of exporting parts of a map to a new map?

To:

Thanks.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hopefully NeonKnight or one of our other CC experts will drop in and correct me if I'm wrong here, but if I remember correctly this is actually VERY easy. Save the whole thing as a new file. Delete off the stuff you don't want. Zoom in. Voila! New map!

The problem is that big parts of the coastline is connected to the bigger map. If possible, all i need to split up the coastlines?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

For the coastline, draw a line across where you want your new map to end (make sure it *crosses* the old coastline on both ends). here's where my memory gets fuzzy, you want either the break tool, the intersect tool or both. Then delete the extra bits of the coastline and the line you drew. Once you have a clean new coastline, select both pieces and multipoly them together.

Well sir, there are a couple of ways to go about this, neither of which is simple. The Simplest of the methods is to SAVE AS RECTANGULAR PNG/BMP option and then trace over top. The nice aspect of this, is you can make you rivers more meandering, the coastline less smooth etc. This is much like how our World Maps get more detail the smaller the depicted area gets.

The more difficult method involves saving the whole work as a Second map (i.e. MAP-2 or some other naming convention), deleting everything that would fall outside the new border, using the SPLIT function on your coastlines, redrawing and connecting for the border areas, and then using the MULTIPOLY tool to make into a new polygon.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    For the coastline, draw a line across where you want your new map to end (make sure it *crosses* the old coastline on both ends). here's where my memory gets fuzzy, you want either the break tool, the intersect tool or both. Then delete the extra bits of the coastline and the line you drew. Once you have a clean new coastline, select both pieces and multipoly them together.
    Thanks! I tried something like this. Now I have my map in a "cut out form". Two issues remains,
    a) the new land masses which i have cut out are on top of everything else.
    b) is it possible to set a new size for the map?

Yes, by using the SCALE button to the left side (default location), looks like Square to Rectangle symbol on a button.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Yes, by using the SCALE button to the left side (default location), looks like Square to Rectangle symbol on a button.
    Thanks.

Campaign Cartographer is great, the only thing is that the learning curve is way too steep. Been away mapping for 1-2 years and I feel like a pup again. Looking forward to many frustrating and rewarding hours mapping :-)