Thread: Melnor

Map Melnor

I made this map for Garwain on the Giant in the Playground forums, based on a map he provided. It was done entirely in Photoshop Elements 6. As you can probably see, it is mostly based on Ascension's atlas-style map tutorial, but it also uses ideas from Flawedspirit's realistic land/mountain texture tutorial and arsheesh's photo-realistic trees tutorial, as well as stuff I worked out on my own. Many, many thanks to Ascension, Flawedspirit, and arsheesh!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melnor.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	32608

While I'm quite happy with it for my first real attempt at this sort of mapping, I can definitely see some places to improve on in my next maps (shading on the mountains would probably help a lot; I'm not thrilled with the fonts and text colors, although I'm not quite sure what to do differently). Any other suggestions for things to work on in future maps would be appreciated

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too bad, actually. I really like your delta - looks pretty swampy n murky.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That´s a good start. The textures seem a little bit too blurry, while the edges of the woodland area coul use some breaking up. The western mountains look banded without a central ridge ( or ridges ) that run in the north-south direction. Keep up the good start.

Howdy, neighbor. Very nice coastline!
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good. I like the font choice it's readable which is the most important thing. I also like the mountain range.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.