Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a new map.

I downloaded the source too, thinking of giving it a shot. But my programming skills are woefully inadequate, so I ditched it LOL. If you have any kind of success, I would be interested in getting a working copy. I am working on a novel, and having this handy little utility would be a definite plus.

So I may be more than a few months late to the party here, but dagum Rob, those are wonderfully impressive maps.

I hope to get in the neighborhood of your level of detail with my own work in time.

Very, VERY nicely done!
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Utterly amazing!!

Can't imagine how many hours of work went into this, looks like it came right out of an atlas or encyclopedia.
    Last edited by Steel General; 10-29-2010 at 07:31 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Can't imagine how many hours of work went into this.
    Thanks.
    I average about 8 hours per map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I probably had at least 20 hours in my "Arvaandor" map, and that doesn't have anywhere near the detail, etc. that this has.

Of course they are 2 completely different styles of maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

HR, is there a legend for your atlas available somewhere?

And a nice bump to draw the attention of new members to these fantastic maps.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Rob, your maps are stunning. How do you do them? Have you ever written a tutorial (and if not, would you consider doing so?) Even some sketchy notes... anything...

Also, what is this for? Is it for a game, or is it just an experiment in world-building?

Edit:

Found a tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1577
    Last edited by isomage; 12-04-2008 at 05:19 AM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by isomage View Post
    Rob, your maps are stunning. How do you do them? Have you ever written a tutorial (and if not, would you consider doing so?) Even some sketchy notes... anything...

Also, what is this for? Is it for a game, or is it just an experiment in world-building?
    Hey gang,
    I haven't been around here much lately... checking back in I see that there are some out-standing questions for me. Sorry about that!

First, I see you've found the tutorial. Hope it helps. Second, I am not a gamer (though I've been told that my world suits gaming quite well), just a world-building hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgarsormr
    HR, is there a legend for your atlas available somewhere?
    Not yet. A few people have asked me for one of those also, so I'll need to throw one together soon. The symbology is consistent from map to map, however. For example, for settlements: A small black dot represents a town with 1000-6000 people, a white circle is a city with 6000-15000 people, a white circle with a small white circle inside it is a big city with 15000-30000 people, and a white circle with a small black dot inside it is a metropolis with over 30000 people. Settlements with fewer than 1000 people are not shown.

Also, if you check out the website, you will see that I have added quite a few new maps since I was here last. I think I'm up to about 46 at this point. I have also noticed that while it is easy for me to relate the regional maps to the world map, it is nearly impossible for anyone else. To aid in that regard, I have created a clickable world map which allows you to click to zoom in on regional maps. You can find that guy right here.

Thanks!
    -Rob

Guild Novice

Wow, what wonderful work... Amazing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast