Thread: Maps commission for CSG Studios

Default Maps commission for CSG Studios

This is the first of ten maps I'll be doing for CSG Studios. It is my first attempt at a new style and I am drawing all the features by hand, which is pretty exciting for me: normally Ido most of my maps by manipulating interesting textures, so this feels more 'artistic.'

Displayed with watermark, with permission of CSG Studios. The names are all placeholders.

I would welcome any advice or ideas, as this is a new style for me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 1 Watermarked.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	828.0 KB 
ID:	33254  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 02-07-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The green lettering looks a little vivid, I'd add some gray to the color mix to mute it a bit but that's just a minor thing. The blue seems a little weird, maybe a bit o green in the mix. Illustration-wise I think it looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Awesome advice! I'll do both of those things!

The map's (comic-)style is awesome. I am looking forward to seeing more maps like this

I like the way the font choice adds to the 'cutsey' feel. Definitely with the big A on the bright green. Just a thought, but do you think you should run the labelling of the mountains down the mountain spine? Not sure if it look a bit odd in this context though. I like the cliff edge effect on the mountain coastlines.

Wally - I appreciate it! I hope to make a lot more maps like this!

Ravells - Thanks! As for moving the labeling down the mountain's spine, I would normally do so, but these are for some type of browser-based game and I worry that might make it slightly less easy to read. Thanks for mentioning the cliff effect--apart from that, I feel this this continent looks quite flat. In the next few, I hope to imply more height variations within the actual landmass--ridges, highlands, lowlands, etc.

I have been really really inspired by some of the isometric-style maps that Torstan and Djekspek (probably my two biggest inspirations on this site) have turned out and, I really want to work in this style more.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Damn your awesomeness! Why can everyone draw cool mountains but me?!? *stamps off to practice more*

Nice work RE - I knew you must be up to something
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt