Thread: Closing my portfolio site

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Closing my portfolio site

Well after getting burned on a couple of commissions (and you know who you are..) I've decided to get out of the "Mapping for money" game. I realize everyone gets burned once in a while but I also realized I have no stomach for the complete lack of respect that goes along with that. The other thing that burns me is that I have absolutely no recourse. Oh well. The way my mapping is at the moment I'm really not good enough to be getting paid for it anyway.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sorry to hear that.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. I see obvious improvement in your work from when you first jumped on board.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

I agree with the General, here. But what's to stop you from trying again when you feel you've gotten good enough?
    Don't give up!

Guild Novice

Boo! That is some sad new, jtougas. My condolences. Sure, give up on the business, but don't give up on yourself!

w

Sorry to here about being burned on those commissions. You know, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to start a Guild blacklist of those clients who renigged on their agreements/contracts with Guild artists. That way, even though they may have gotten a map or two free, they will have burned their bridges with the Guild on future commissions. This would also help to protect Guild members from being taken advantage of by known offenders. My 2c.

On a side note, I've been asked to do a couple of commissions (which have yet to materialize) and I insisted on 50% of the payment up front (no refunds if they decide they don't want the map after all). Moreover, I will only send small resolution WIP maps to the client, with the full resolution completed map only being delivered upon final payment. This is my way of protecting myself.

Anyway, I hope this experience has not tainted your love of fantasy map-making JT.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well since you'll have more time on your hands this is a good time to try out some new styles or experiments. Map for yourself; that's what I do and I leave the real masters to do their thing. Play a game or something for a while and just let the fires reignite on their own. Or do some yardwork.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That sucks JT, I'm sorry you've had some bad customers.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I haven't given up on fantasy cartography completely. I still have a campaign setting that needs maps and I'm sure once I get over my current black mood the ideas will flow again.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I've been burned once, though I eventually got paid - 6 months later. I generally only take commissions from known publishers, though I have done a few commissions for individuals. I wouldn't give up Jtougas, as most have treated me fairly. I think you ran into one too many sour apples in a row. Do you have a contract that you sign along with the publisher? A simple contract can go far to insure you get paid for services rendered. You can use a standard contract as a freelancer. When you get your next commission, email them a PDF of your contract and have the client sign it, scan it and return it to you. When you receive it, you sign and mail the contract to the client. This will not guarantee you get paid, but at least you will have some legal standing. If the client does not sign the contract - you don't do any map services. No crime no foul. That's my only advice to you.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations