Thread: Dark Sun Maps for IDW's Dark Sun Comic

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Dark Sun Maps for IDW's Dark Sun Comic

IDW have released two comic lines based on Dungeons and Dragons. Some of the comics have limited editions that come with an adventure in them that follows the story of the comic. I've been doing the maps for them.

These maps are for the world of Athas in the Dark Sun setting and were done for Dark Sun #1: Ianto's Tomb. The comic charts the adventures of Grudvik the escaped gladiator. It's a gritty story in an unforgiving post-apocalyptic world - pretty much perfect for Dark Sun.

The adventure is written by Christopher Perkins (ex Dungeon editor, and current Creative Director for D&D 4e) and allows players to follow the exploits of the gladiator across the face of Athas. Here are some low res (30%) previews of the three maps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkyRayPreview.jpg 
Views:	1357 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	33271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SiltSailorsPreview.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	33269 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SiltShoalHorrorPreview.jpg 
Views:	1320 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	33270

The maps are small (less than 3" tall in the finished print product) so they needed to be clear and easy to read. The colour scheme was also pretty easy to set. Athas is nothing if not sandy. These are commission pieces, so they're rights reserved. You can read a bit more about the project on my blog here.

Nice and cool but Hey, is that a "land ship"? Outrageous, maybe I sensed it somehow happening... 8-O
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Actually a ship that sails through a sea of silt - so it goes through rather than over. The things that look like wheels are actually massive paddle wheels to pull it through.

Cool idea for a challenge by the way. We haven't done a steampunk challenge before.