Thread: First Colony

Wip First Colony

Here is a world map I am creating. I am using PaintShop Pro v9 for the drawing. The land was made with Fractal Terrains. I am having problems making the hexes. I need the hexes to lineup with the poles. I have tried using an overlay (too blurry), custom making my hexes, etc... but the size doesn't come out right. Any thoughts? I want the grid to basically look like the one attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grid.bmp 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	33302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Colony.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	33303

Making Hexs is a Pain. I've never found an easy way to do it. The best I can suggest is; six triangle makes up one hex, and the angle of each corner of any given triangle should be exactly 60 degrees. Final note; I hate making hexs. Good luck.

Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar

Hi Skywise, your best bet is to download something like inkscape and do it in vector - it's a very difficult route to get there by drawing one hex at a time!

I've made a high resolution png overlay for you, so you can just stick it on top of any FT isoc exports without having to use a vector program.

Tell me if you need something higher res or a vector file.

Edit: Sorry should have mentioned I got the hex grid in vector from from Isomage's house which has a lot of goodies in it.

best

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trav grid.png 
Views:	1229 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	33320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trav.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	33319  

I used a custom hex overlay I made after matching distance of ten hexes from known points (top point and spot with triangle meets), tweaked it a bit, and came out with a pretty good white hex field.

Ravells, thanks for the hex overlay. It looks really sharp... I may play with it and use it...

Anyways, here's my version of the hex map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Colony II.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	33330

(Note: the land changed as I switched to a new Fractal Terrain that I liked better)

Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar

Hey that does look pretty good! Glad you go there in the end! I might cross post the hex overlay in the mapping elements section just in case other people might want to use it.