Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 3D modeler render for $10

I'm not sure how much I can use it either but it seems like it has a lot of things it can do. If I never use it it won't be any more money then I've spent on a game that sucked. I figured if nothing else I'd learn something new.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well said, Jax -- I've wasted more money on plenty of games I thought I'd like but didn't

Worst case it'll be a new addition to my wall of software packages that I desperately hoped would include artistic ability in the box with the rest of the stuff. Maybe this one will even get installed! Assuming that the whole thing goes, of course...

Lol, sounds like my hopes.

Anyone know when this deal ends?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

It'll end when they hit the number of licenses they wanted to sell, so there's really no telling. It appears sales might be accelerating, though, so if you want it you probably ought to grab it today.

I did a little hunting for reviews, by the way, and while it's not very widely used, at least a few pros like it to supplement Lightwave. Lightwave itself used to be the premiere application for game modeling; it's still quite good, but it's been largely displaced by 3ds Max. In short, this is likely to be a fairly high quality product.

If you miss out on this offer, though, I recommend taking a look at Houdini by SideFX Software. They've got a hobbyist's version for ~$100. It doesn't have the awesome dynamics stuff (water, smoke, fire, etc) that's in the pro version of Houdini, but it'll do all the modeling and rendering you could ask for. Better than Maya and Max in some instances.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 02-13-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yeah, I already ordered the Pro-version of this thing so I was just wondering what the chances were of the whole thing making it to the end.

I honestly think they'll hold it open, jax. They're not going to refund all those people.

I don't think they'll have any trouble reaching their goal. If I recall correctly, it was at a little more than 50% when I looked at it a couple days ago, and it's now closing in on 90%. Unless they've hit some kind of market saturation point already, I'd give it less than a day before it's done. Just in case, though, I pimped it on Facebook—some of my art school friends may go for it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast