Wip

added some features
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dominion of darkness x5.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	33582

Guild Member

That - is freakin' gorgeous. You probably already know that you'll need to dull down the added compass and such, and add the slightest drop shadow to the map so it isn't "floating" on the wood background.

Gorgeous. Have some rep.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Resist the urge to decorate your map with things like the compass, ruler, and calipers. First, they never seem to have the same light source and that creates different shadows. Second, as you can see, they get blurry or blotchy when resizing. Instead, put things that you need in those places - a scale bar, a title or cartouche, compass rose, borders/frame, and legend/key. That way you can kill the dead space and not hokey it up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This turned out Great !! I'd agree with Ascension on the decorative bits however.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

how about just the compass?

Name:	dominion of darkness x5.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	33593

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats not bad but it's still bright. Also I just noticed your "table" texture is made up of hundreds of planks. you might want to either resize it or use one with bigger planks
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

lol...how do you know its not a giant table.. ill have to do it at the end when i resize it to small

i wish you could easily scale patterns in photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfate View Post
    lol...how do you know its not a giant table.. ill have to do it at the end when i resize it to small

i wish you could easily scale patterns in photoshop
    I usually cheat this (depending on the quality of the texture/pattern) but I make a layer, fill with white, apply a layer mask on what ever the layer is suppose to cover, so in your case the background around the map, and go into the Layer Style and apply a Pattern Overlay, and your able to scale the texture/pattern to get a fairly decent result, I usually will do a copy merged, so you have a flat layer (no styles or anything) of the pattern

Just an idea...
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Map

finished

Name:	dominion of darkness x7.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	33615

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast