Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new map, Angolsium

Map

okay, so i was playing with textures and found one i liked. here's an update. next comes the rivers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	england3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	961.8 KB 
ID:	2098  

I like the forests. If you wished, they could stand to have some internal texture, but I don't think that's necessary. I notice there are light and dark areas. Are these mountains? If so, they definitely need to stand out more. Also, I'd say that internal texture is necessary for mountains of this style.

What program are you using for this? Whether it's GIMP or not, you might find this section of RobA's tutorial useful.

I think you're on the right track with this idea.

Map

okay, here's one with the mountains better defined, and the rivers. i might do something with the woods, but right now i'm happy with them as a whole so maybe if i get really anal about it i'll work on them.

i'm using coreldraw 12. with a wacom tablet and a lot of trial and error. i must have gone through about 8 dozen looks before settling on this one.

next comes names and settlements. i'm thinking of a grid overlay with this one. i'm scaling it to 1 inch =100 miles, with small duchies and fiefdoms scattered all over in the more fertile areas. the rest will be uncharted wilderness.

Name:	england4.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	973.3 KB 
ID:	2101  

Great map Terrainmonkey, it looks very sharp and colorful. Good alteration of "realworld" terrain.

The only criticism/point that I notice about the map is that when you look at it fullsized, the edges of features (forests, the shore of the landmass) look very "fractally" and speckled. If that's the look you're going for, great, but I think the map would look better if there were some way to smooth out the edges.

I dunno. I think the fractal edges are alright. Now I'm harping, but I think the mountains could stand to be rougher still. Or at the very least darker brown. My eye has a hard time distinguishing them from an "aged paper" effect.

Map

okay, here's what happened. i took the original map, cut into 4 sections and am now doing the labelling.

here is the southwest quadrant. i'm liking the soft pastel look, and the outline of the coast gives it a bit more contrast.

Name:	englandbit2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	2113  

Praise You're getting good at this!

TM - you're getting good at this! The labeling brings lots of life to the map.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Map

okay, here's the finished map of the southwest quadrant. i changed a few things, added some more, and there you go. next is the northwest quadrant, which will probably be bigger. comments are always welcome, suggestions too.

Name:	englandbit2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	744.4 KB 
ID:	2136  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast